7

Elaina Basset

Elaina Basset

With a final stroke of my paintbrush, my eyes went wide with glory. My lips pulled into a smile as it finally set in.

I'm done.

Standing out in the backyard of the villa, I drop the brush and look up to the sky with a smile on my face.

"Fuck yes." I mumble to myself as I take in a laugh of relief and happiness.

I'm done my painting. I finished it today. No more stress. A huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, knowing this task was complete and I could finally just breathe.

I know it's merely a small accomplishment, and I know there's more that I need to face—but right now...this is a moment of bliss. I've overcome something that has been like a boulder between my shoulder blades for too long. Now, that boulder can be taken off, and I can exhale. I'm going to let myself be proud of this.

I look back forward at my piece of art that I had been so stressed over. I bite my bottom lip as I smile, so satisfied with myself while I take my phone out and snap a picture of the work.

With everything going on, this was the obstacle that I had to climb in order to feel any sense of relaxation. I'll worry about everything else later.

For now, I get this victory.

The smile didn't leave my face as I put everything away in my shed, safely placing my painting in a secure spot out in the sun so it could dry completely before I had to make a copy of it to send in for the application.

My excited feet carry me back across the grass and into the villa, walking into the kitchen where the staircase was and bringing myself up the wooden stairs.

Today felt good...even with Harry and the guys still around. They leave tomorrow anyway. Things are finally being set right again.

Harry actually hasn't really tried to bother me since the whole jewelry store incident anyway. He's stayed out of my way and went back to ignoring my presence. It's fine with me, I like it better if I pretend he's not here so if he's doing the same, then it's perfect.

I get up to the second level of the villa, looking down at my feet and smiling as I head down the hall to my room.

I just need to share this news with someone—the fact that I had accomplished what had been weighing me down.

As I walk, I hear a voice that becomes louder as it leaves the guest room. I look up to see exactly what I suspected...

Harry had walked out of the room with his cellphone to his ear.

"You know it's a bad time. I don't even know why you'd think to call me." he speaks into the phone.

He doesn't sound happy...but then again, I don't think I've actually ever seen him happy.