56

Harry Styles

We raced back to my house.

Truthfully, I didn't have the expectation that our date was gonna end in sex, but she wants it. And I always want it, so why the hell not?

My hand on her thigh and the wind blowing in her hair as the night falls, I pull into the driveway.

I get out first, planning on going to open her door for her but she beats me to it. She climbs out of the car and smiles at me.

I'm nervous, but not because of the sex.

I haven't known Elaina for long, but I truly feel like she knows me better than anyone—in a deeper way. She makes me feel seen. When I see her, I feel lighter, and I can only hope I make her feel the same.

I've only been in one relationship, and it ended in disaster and heartbreak. But here's the thing...Elaina isn't like that. She knows what that heartache feels like when someone you're with betrays you.

And maybe I'm thinking irrationally, but this has been on my mind since that night we went to the diner in Arizona.

I want to ask her to be my girlfriend.

I realize the risks that come with it. But we don't have to tell anyone, not for a while anyway. It can just be our thing. If no one knows, then there's less of a chance of enemies using her against me.

I'll keep her safe. I swore to myself that I would a little while ago, when I realized she wasn't who I thought she was.

I think I'm more nervous about what having a girlfriend would be like than her saying no. She can say no and I'll be okay. She's fresh out of an engagement, she's healing from things. I know she likes me, so if she's not ready for a relationship, then that's okay with me.

When we get inside, she follows me into the kitchen. I go over to the liquor cabinet while she traces her fingertips along the top of the island.

"Can I make you a drink?" I ask, looking over my shoulder at her. She nods.

I get flashbacks to the first time she was here, when she stayed here for those few days and we hated each other.

"Remember when I cleaned the cut on your forehead on that couch?" she says, looking off into the living room.

Looks like she's reminiscing as well.

"I do." I say, setting two glasses on the counter. "Remember when you made me breakfast in this kitchen?"

"And you swore I was trying to poison you." she adds in with a laugh.

I laugh as well, "Yeah well I couldn't blame you if you did." I say. "I guess I was sort of a dick." I finish up her drink and slide it across the island to her.

She hums another small chuckle, grabbing the glass. "Well I'm glad I didn't." she remarks, giving me a small smile.

I try not to blush over the fact that the girl I like just told me she's glad she didn't poison me back when she hated my guts.

She looks down at her drunk. "I have to tell you something." she says, peering back up at me.

I sip from my glass and lean against the island, tilting my head. "Sure." I say, wanting her to elaborate.

"The first night that I stayed here," she says, "I got up in the middle of the night and..." she hesitates, "I snooped around a little."

I furrow my brows, setting my glass down. My mind immediately faces to the worst case scenario, thinking about what she could have possibly found. Maybe I had something out in the open? I don't think I did.