64

Elaina Basset

three days later...

Thomas, Harry's father, has invited me out to coffee today.

I found out about this invitation when Zayn came back from the bar, storming into the villa. I asked him what had happened, and he told me that Harry's father waltzed into the bar and asked Zayn for my contact information.

The only reason that Harry and I's relationship cover wasn't blown was because Zayn immediately called Harry and asked why Thomas wants to see me. Harry was quick to say that Thomas wants to work on making amends, and that starts with getting in with the people in Harry's life, and since Thomas knows me the least...he wants to have the chance to talk.

Zayn was skeptical, and so was I. Suddenly Harry's father just wants back into his life...it feels off.

However, after talking to Harry, I realized that it might just be easier to go get a drink with his father. Maybe he's really trying to change.

Zayn only agreed to this under the condition of he drives me to the meeting spot and then picks me up. He told me that I'm to call him immediately if something feels weird.

So that brings me to now, where I sit in Aldo's café, my foot tapping anxiously under the booth table as I wait for Harry's father to show up.

The smell of milky coffee fills my senses as Aldo brings me a mug.

"Wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't show." Aldo speaks. "Don't put much faith in him."

I shake my head, "I'm not. I'm giving him five more minutes, then I'm gone."

Aldo smirks. "Cut that down to 30 seconds and Harry would be so proud." he nudges my shoulder gently and I chuckle as he walks back behind the counter.

Harry's been away for 3 days now. We've been calling and texting as much as we can, but he can't tell me much at the risk of someone listening or tapping into the phone. From what I've heard though, the job is going well and he'll be home sooner than I know it. I worry about him every second that I don't hear from him, worried that something went wrong and I won't know, but I'm trying to keep my mind clear and positive.

The door chimes, like it has every other minute since I've got here. I look down at my drink, watching the steam rise.

I'm anxious about seeing Thomas. I'm not really sure what his plan is. The only thing keeping me comfort is that Harry is aware this is happening and I'm not doing it behind his back.

My eyes drift away from my drink when I feel a presence approach my booth. My stomach ends up turning when I look up and faintly see Harry's features in an older, withered face.

"Elaina?" Thomas smiles. "Sorry I'm late."

I press my lips into a line. "I wasn't sure what you drink so I didn't order you anything."

"That's okay." he looks over at the counter, Aldo staring him down with a towel over his shoulder and hands planted on the counter. "Large black coffee, please."

Aldo stays silent, watching Thomas closely as he sits down before going to make his drink of request.

"Black coffee." I acknowledge. "That's what Harry drinks."

Thomas nods with a chuckle. "Well, the Styles men don't really come across as latte guys anyway."

I don't respond, watching Thomas take off his jean jacket and place it next to him on the booth. "I gotta say, I really appreciate you meeting me." he tells me.