65

i just posted chapter 64 last night, don't miss that one.

short chapter ahead but oooo it's a nail biter...

Harry Styles

Cigar smoke and scotch are the thick in the air of this casino.

"Raise."

I look at my cards, I look up at Niall across the green table, he looks at me, I look back down.

"Fold." a frustrated voice speaks followed by laughter.

Two days ago, Niall and I met our target. Pauli Montori, the man who tried to put out a hit on Vincent and his wife. Today, we're at a casino with Pauli and his colleagues, casually playing poker.

Pauli believes that he's going to be giving Niall and I a loan later on—that he'll fund our 'business' but the catch he hasn't told us yet is that he'll launder the profits we would make and he'd get more money than we would.

He doesn't know we know that though.

Cards are being picked up and put down around the table of seven men, including Niall and I. Pauli sits two seats down from Niall across the table. He's a big guy. Your classic 'goodfella'. A cigar hangs from his mouth, a cream coloured silk blouse is only buttoned up to right where his chest begins, gold chains around his neck and rings around his fingers.

The men around us are dressed like classic Italian mafia men, and Niall and I are both in suits with our western American accents. No wonder they think we're clueless and fresh meat.

The fact that we're playing poker is a test for us. Niall and I know not to make any outrages bets, or go all in, or do anything that could possibly hint to us knowing what we're doing or having money of any kind. We're supposed to be broke, naive kids in need of a loan.

Pauli didn't invite us to play poker to be friendly.

"Fold." I murmur, putting my cards down.

I get a tough grip on my shoulder from the guy next to me. I look at him as he chuckles at my 'misfortune'.

"Better luck next round, kid." he says and I force a disappointed half smile.

I glance at Niall, who's got his bottom lip between his teeth and his cards close to him. He glances back at me.

He's got a good hand.

I know Niall, and I know he's good at his job. But, I also know that he's impulsive and he loves winning.

I subtly just shake my head at him. He looks back down at his cards and sighs.

"Fold." he throws the hand down.

Pauli chuckles like he expected Niall and I to forfeit. "Don't worry, rookies. You'll get it someday."

I lean back in my seat and watch the guys continue playing. We kind of have to just wait out this game until Pauli is ready to talk to us.

Then tomorrow, we kill him.

When I hear a ringing in my pocket, it confuses me. I'm getting a phone call, but this isn't my phone. It's a burner. The only person that knows this number is Vince, and he wouldn't be calling me knowing I'm in the middle of a job.

I take out the phone to look at it, Niall looking at me as well.

It's an unknown number. My first instinct is to hang up, but what if it's Vince trying to warn us about a compromise? What if something behind the scenes has gone wrong? What if one of the guys or Angela back home is trying to get in contact?