47

Harry Styles

Red hair. Blue eyes.

A yellow sundress and white tennis shoes. A field of flowers with a canvas resting just a few feet away. Warm paint splattered hands on my cheeks while I lay beneath her. My hands travel up her back while she smiles at me.

Her thumb grazes my cheek.

"Have we been here too long?" she giggles.

I shrug. "I've lost track of time."

She smiles. But slowly, it fades. If her smile hadn't disappeared, then maybe I wouldn't be so confused by the next words she spoke, "They'll be looking for us soon."

My head tilts. "Who?"

Her head then turns to the left, looking out onto the vicinity of the field we're lying in. With furrowed brows, I follow her gaze...and then I see it.

In the distance, men with white masks and haunting red smiles.

The sudden sound of ringing next to my head wakes me up with a startle. My eyes open and I feel a physical weight come off of my chest in the same quick moment.

It takes me a second to realize that the ringing sound is my phone, and the weight was Elaina's head which was resting on my chest.

We both sit up as I reach for my phone, my mind still in a frenzy from waking up so fast. We're still in the field she brought us to. We must have fallen asleep.

When I grab my phone, I see that I have 4 missed calls from Niall. And it's nearly 9:30 at night.

"Shit." I murmur, reality checking in.

"How did we fall asleep for so long?" Elaina gets up in a panic, throwing her hair strands out of her face.

The sun is almost done setting. We disappeared earlier in the evening without telling anyone where we went. This could be really bad.

"We gotta go." I say, standing up and grabbing her hand with instinct. "They probably think something happened to us."

With her hand engulfed in mine, we jog together out of the field. I try to go slower so she can keep up, her legs being shorter than mine.

I want to get her back to the villa before it's completely dark. I know she'll feel safer there with Zayn. She's quiet as we hurry back but I know her mind is reeling.

She hasn't talked about tonight. How her wedding got invaded or how her and Isaac ended things. And now I know how she tends to bury things deep within her so it's unlikely that she'll ever talk about it willingly.

She's like me in that sense, and I know from experience how hard of a wall that is for someone else to break down. As much as it stings to say, I don't think her and I are at a level of closeness that would make her comfortable enough to open up completely and whole heartedly.

But, with that being said, we hated each other at some point...and today I kissed her.

I keep replaying it in my head like a middle schooler with a crush. It was captivating, like a passage out of a novel.

After walking for a while, we get back to the villa. We sneak around the backyard to the shed where we sort of hide behind.

"They're gonna be so suspicious if we walk in together..." Elaina says.

I look up the length of the house. I know that her bedroom window is right above the shed. I look back to her. "Is your bedroom door closed?" I ask.

She nods with furrowed brows, but when I look back up at the window, I think my plan sets in for her.