43

hey

alright y'all listen up

so this chapter is gonna seem messy, and by that i mean it's gonna switch POV's a few times. it'll seem choppy but it will all make sense! it just helps tell the story better for this chapter at least!!

ok enjoy.

Elaina Basset

It was me who suggested the bar.

Considering what has happened today with my letter of rejection from the artists program, I needed to get drunk, but I played it off as a way to celebrate mine and Isaac's official engagement.

The wedding is next week.

Next week, I won't be Elaina Basset anymore. I'll be a married woman. Alcohol feels like the most effective way to deal with that at the moment. But, I didn't feel safe drinking anywhere else. At least at Zayn's bar, I know that I'll be protected by the staff.

As we walk through the bar with Finn and Jessie, I'm dressed in a simple white dress with a black jean jacket to cover my shoulder. We walk through sweaty dancing bodies, it's so hot in here—honestly, I'd probably be panicking if I wasn't so set on getting drunk.

Isaac holds my hand as he takes me to the bar, Finn and Jessie behind us conversing but following our lead. It's loud and crowded as we make our way to the counter. Isaac leans against the hardwood and grins at me. "What do ya feel like, babe?"

I shrug as I stand in front of him, "Maybe a couple of tequila shots to start?"

Isaac's brows immediately furrow at my suggestion. He briefly looks over at Finn and Jessie like he was in disbelief, laughing a little. "What? That seems pretty strong for you, honey." he chuckles.

I force a small laugh and step forward so I'm closer to him, the proximity making me have to tilt my head to look up at him and he has to tilt his head down. "I'm in the mood for strong." I tell him. "Vodka sodas won't cut it for me tonight."

He put on his best cologne tonight. For me. He gelled his hair the way that he believes I like it most. He wore a white long sleeve with the sleeves rolled up to the elbow, the way I like it.

On paper, we're just like we were in high school. Made for each other. The perfect couple. Prom king and queen, in love.

On paper.

In my head, though...it's a tornado. My morals are twisted and I feel like a terrible person for putting on this fake smile, showing him fake affection that I'm trying so hard to convince myself is real.

I wonder how our high school peers would react if they knew that their beloved prom queen needs copious amounts of alcohol to love the prom king.

"Well okay." Isaac chuckles under his breath, bringing his hand up to tuck my hair behind my ear. I pull a small smile at the action while he turns to the bartender to order my drink.

My plan tonight is to fake it until I'm drunk enough for it to be real.

Isaac turns to the bartender. He's the same one I've seen before, the one who replaced the old one that drugged me. He gives us both a short nod and I know that he recognized me.

"What can I get for you guys?" he shouts slightly over the music, towel hung over his shoulder as sweat beads his forehead.

"Four tequila shots!" Isaac too shouts over the loudness.

The bartender nods and starts to prepare the shots, lining up four empty shot glasses.

"Do you normally come to this bar, Elaina?" Finn asks me, the four of us grouped around the bar counter.