55

Elaina Basset

My date with Harry is today.

I've been pacing around all morning, trying not to be nervous—planning outfits and how Ill do my hair...but in the end, I've told myself that the reason Harry likes me is because I'm me. I shouldn't have to change what I wear or how I act just because we're calling this our first official date.

I stand in the mirror, looking at my appearance. It was warm today so I went with a pastel green sundress that was embellished with white flowers with stems. My hair is down, with half of it tied up at the top, a green ribbon threaded into the ponytail.

I feel pretty, but I also feel like myself—which is what I wanted.

Zayn is at running the bar today, so I'm alone at the villa until later tonight. He was hesitant to leave me alone, offering for me to come with him or have someone watch the house—but I insisted that I'm fine.

I don't think anyone knows where the villa is...I'm pretty sure I'm safer here alone than at the bar.

I hear a car pulling into the driveway, wheels scraping against some loose gravel. I freeze at the noise and head downstairs to peek through a front window, a worry in the pit of my stomach that this isn't who I think it is and I might be in danger.

But, much to my relief and excitement, I see Harry getting out of his car.

But, somethings different, and I notice it immediately.

He's cut his hair.

He's dressed in black jeans, a white shirt beneath a loose shortsleeved , unbuttoned pale yellow blouse. And his hair—the longer curls that once almost reached his shoulder now reach his ears. A curl hangs over his forehead, not near his chin like before.

It was such a sight. He looked older, not by much, but the shortness of his curls added some maturity to his overall appearance.

I was mesmerized. 

I stand back and brush my hands over my dress, waiting for him to walk to the door. My feet felt like they couldn't touch the ground, I was so eager. My heart was pounding.

Jesus, Elaina. Get ahold of yourself.

When he finally knocks on the door, I make myself count to five before I open it.

When the barrier of the wooden door opens, he immediately smiles. His toothy grin earns one from me, one that fell onto my face so naturally upon seeing him.

"Hey, Flower." he greets.

"Your hair." I say through my smiling.

He gets kind of shy, ruffling a hand through it like he was quickly trying to make it look better than what he thought it looked like. "Don't—"

"I love it." I laugh, and he pauses before smiling again.

"Yeah?"

I nod. "You look great."

I know that Harry isn't the type to be good with compliments towards himself, but I have to admit, seeing him dip his head down to try and hide the blush that flooded his cheeks when I told him he looked good was better than any response he could have given me.

He takes my hand in his and we walk to his car. He's chosen his sleek black sports car for our date. Subtle.

He opens my door for me and I realize as I sit down in the passenger seat that I haven't stopped grinning.

As he drives away from the villa, I turn to him as breeze swirls through our rolled down windows.

"So what are we doing?" I ask.