69

Taehyung watched Yoongi make a lettuce wrap of grilled pork belly, kimchi, garlic, and ssamjang for Jin.

They were at a restaurant with Jin's parents and brother, as well as Namjoon and Hoseok for dinner before Jin and Yoongi's flight the next day.

Taehyung's eyes followed the other man's hand as he held the neatly wrapped leafy package to Jin's plump, rosy lips.

Though Jin smiled sweetly at his boyfriend before accepting the food and eating it, Taehyung caught a quick flash of fear in his eyes.

That brief glimpse was enough to tell Taehyung that there was something wrong.

Taehyung had been watching the couple throughout the entire dinner, and what he'd observed so far unsettled him.

It made him uneasy.

It made him worry for Jin.

But Jin let Yoongi caress his cheek gently with his thumb after eating his food offering, and if Taehyung had not seen the earlier emotion in his eyes, he would have thought everything was well with the couple.

He continued to watch them surreptitiously for the next half hour, and when Jin excused himself to go to the restroom, he decided to follow him.

He didn't miss the way Yoongi quickly pull Jin possessively towards him as the man rose from the table before releasing him.

A meaningful look passed from Yoongi to Jin, and it made the hair on the back of Taehyung's neck stand on end.

He could see that Jin was on edge and close to tipping over.

As Taehyung entered the blessedly clean and empty mens room, he heard muffled sobs from the sole occupied stall.

He frowned.

It was Jin.

"Jin-hyung?"

The sobbing ceased, and there was a shuffling before the sound of flushing toilet filled the silence.

The latch unlocking preceded the stall door opening, and a pale Jin came out.

"Tae. Sorry about that. I hope I didn't alarm you."

"Are you alright, hyung?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just sad, you know, because I'm leaving everything familiar and dear to me."

"But Yoongi-hyung will be with you. That's not something to be sad about," Taehyung noted as he watched the older's expression carefully.

"You're right, Tae. I'm being dramatic," Jin smiled.

There had been a flinch before Jin replied.

It was quick and Taehyung would have missed it, had he not paid close attention.

His heart sank but he decided not to say anything more.

Later that night, the group went for a walk on a nearby beach.

Jin had said he wanted a final look at the ocean that surrounded his home country.

It made the others nostalgic so after waving Jin's parents and brother off as they returned to their hotel, they had all piled into Yoongi's Range Rover for the drive there.

It would be the last time they would get to ride in the SUV before Yoongi's brother picked it up at the airport in the morning.

As Jin strolled towards the water's edge, Taehyung fell in step beside Yoongi.

He wanted to talk to him.

When the older man lowered himself to sit on the seawall surrounding the beach, Taehyung followed suit.

He could feel Yoongi glance at him before returning his gaze to his boyfriend who was now laughing and shrieking with Hoseok as they tried to push each other into the surf.

Namjoon stayed off to the side in a safe zone, away from the rambunctious play between Hoseok and Jin as they kicked up the sand around them.

"Are you sad about tomorrow, Yoongi-hyung?" Taehyung asked as he observed the two men by the water's edge continue with their child's play.

It warmed his heart to see Jin looking much happier after the incident in the restaurant's mens room.

"Sad?" Yoongi frowned. "Why would I be sad?"

"You're leaving everything familiar to you."

"I don't see it like that. I see it as broadening my experience."

"Is that how Jin-hyung sees it?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure, hyung?" Taehyung shifted his gaze to the man beside him.

He realised it was not his place to interfere between Yoongi and Jin.

Furthermore, he still hadn't forgiven Jin fully for sleeping with Jungkook when he was still in a relationship with Yoongi.

Even so, Taehyung had spent a lot of time with Jin when he was in middle school.

He felt he knew Jin better than Yoongi, and he was certain that Jin did not share Yoongi's sentiments.

He waited as the older man continued to watch Jin run around with Hoseok on the beach, both of them squealing whenever the surf kissed their shoes.

"You know, don't you, kid?" Yoongi asked after a long silence.

"About Jin-hyung and Jungkook? Yeah, I know. I'm sorry it happened to you, hyung."

Yoongi gave a short nod but said nothing.

Taehyung sensed the man wanted to say more so he remained silent to give him time to arrange his thoughts.

"Jin said he loves that turd," Yoongi revealed softly. "That he has always loved him, and wants to be with him."

Taehyung felt a boulder lodge in his chest.

He could feel the heavy sadness in the other man, the awful realisation that the one you love loved someone else.

"You should let him go, hyung. It will only eat you up inside if you continue like this," Taehyung suggested.

"Maybe," Yoongi acquiesced. "But I still want to try. I love him. And I'm not ready to let go yet."

Taehyung watched as Yoongi pushed himself up and brush the sand off of his trousers.

He knew this would be his last chance to try and make things right for everyone.

"Hyung, don't wait too long. Okay?" Taehyung swallowed the apprehension in his throat and decided to just say it. "And uh... hyung, I want us to stay in touch. Call me, text me, email me. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here."

Yoongi laughed.

He'd always enjoyed Taehyung's company because he was entertaining.

A bit strange with the things that he would blurt out but entertaining all the same.

"You're a good kid, Kim Taehyung. People say you're weird but you're actually a good kid. So yeah, sure. We can stay in touch."

Taehyung's heart stuttered when Yoongi flashed his signature gummy smile.

And as the older man walked towards the surf to claim his boyfriend, Taehyung smiled and put his hand over his heart.