60

Jin looked around the dinner table and smiled with satisfaction.

The meal he had prepared for Taehyung was a huge success.

And the boy sitting next to him made it even more perfect by intertwining their fingers together under the table whenever he wasn't reaching for a piece of meat on the grill, or vegetable in the hot pot.

Jungkook made him so happy.

"Hyung, this is the best birthday dinner ever! Thank you!"

Jin smiled at the birthday boy.

"You're welcome, Tae. Did you want to do anything or go anywhere after dinner for your birthday?"

Taehyung gasped with delight and opened his mouth to make a suggestion, but then his eyes slid to the side as he locked gazes with someone behind Jin.

The birthday boy's smile faltered, and he shook his head as he looked away from Jin.

"No, hyung. You've done enough already."

Jin frowned.

He could have sworn Taehyung had something in mind, something that he really wanted to do, so he couldn't understand why he would suddenly change his mind.

"Are you sure, Tae? I didn't get you a gift because I thought that maybe you wanted to go somewhere after dinner and do something fun. I even rented a car so you, me, and Jungkook can drive to wherever you want to go."

Taehyung's shoulders slumped forward, and Jin could feel the gloom rolling from the boy.

"No, hyung, it's fine. You've already done so much for my birthday. I know you bought all of the food that we ate tonight, and I know you cooked them all by yourself. Namjoon-hyung can take me."

"I can?" Namjoon spoke up, surprised. "I don't remem-"

"Taehyung is right," Namjoon and Taehyung's father interjected from the other side of the table. "You have already done more than your fair share for my son today, Seokjin."

"Oh no, abeonim. I wanted to do it. It's my pleasure," Jin explained.

"And for that I am grateful. But now it is my eldest son's turn to do something for his younger brother. Am I right, Namjoon?"

The hard tone in Mr Kim's voice brooked no argument so Namjoon agreed quietly.

Mrs Kim clapped her hands as she laughed with happiness.

It pleased the older woman whenever her sons did things together the way they used to as children before they drifted apart as they got older.

"Yeobo, I think that's an excellent idea. And I think we should join our children. It's been a while since we did anything as a family, don't you agree?"

Namjoon's eyes widened as he wheeled to Jin, appealing for help.

Jin knew Namjoon had planned to go and see Jimin tonight.

He knew his housemate wanted Jimin back, and was going to try and reconcile with the younger boy.

And because Jin knew how deeply Jimin felt for Namjoon, Jin was determined to help both of them find their way back to each other.

He smiled at Namjoon's mum, ready to offer himself as their escort so his housemate could go to Jimin's home, but before he could formulate his sentence, Jungkook spoke up beside him.

"Eomeoni, I couldn't agreed more. And I know Jin will back me up when I say that you should all enjoy a night out together as a family. More so on Taehyung's birthday. Jin and I insist."

"But the cleaning up?" Namjoon argued. "Jin bought and cooked everything so I should clean up."

"Nonsense, Namjoon-hyung. I'm a guest in your home. It's time I pulled my weight. I will stay and help Jin-hyung with cleaning up."

Jin, who had been watching the verbal exchange around the dinner table like a spectator at a tennis match, gaped at Jungkook.

He had never heard his dongsaeng speak that way to his housemate before.

With respect.

Perhaps Jungkook really was growing up.

"It's settled then. Boys, go get changed and be ready at the door in 15 minutes," Mr Kim announced as he got up from the dinner table and held his hand out to his wife.

"Thank you, boys. I'm so glad that my sons have such loyal friends," Mrs Kim beamed at both Jin and Jungkook before taking her husband's hand and leaving the room.

Taehyung and Namjoon followed soon after, the older with his shoulders slumped and his feet dragging listlessly across the floor, while the younger skipped ahead but not before tossing a cheeky smile at Jungkook, with a sassy wink.

Jungkook turned to look at Jin.

His chest expanded with pride, while his heart raced with love and joy for his handsome hyung.

He was excited.

"So what do you want to do tonight, hyung?"