41

Jungkook looked at his phone and sniffed.

His food was laid out in front of him but he has yet to take a bite because he has been reading all of Jin's past messages to him.

Messages that he never responded to.

Messages that ended at 11:52 PM on his birthday.

He re-read the last message his Jin sent.

My dearest Jungkook, it's hyung again.

I know I've already wished you a happy birthday multiple times today but I haven't heard from you so I'm sending you a final birthday wish.

I miss you and I'm sorry for leaving you.

I hope one day that you will find it in your heart to forgive me.

When the day comes, I hope you will come find me and we can go back to the way we were.

Until then, I will respect your wishes and stop contacting you.

I love you.

Remember that I will always love you.

Hyung

Jin had kept his promise and never contacted Jungkook again.

And Jungkook hated himself for not responding to Jin's final message.

He could tell his hyung was heartbroken, and desperate to hear from him.

But he had ignored him because he felt righteous for the way Jin left him.

The reality was he was wrong.

Jin didn't leave him.

At least not permanently.

Jin was only going away temporarily for school, and he would be back once he got his degree.

He had even told Jungkook this in the messages he had sent after the night Jungkook ran from him.

But Jungkook's anger and jealousy had blinded him, and his stubbornness had prolonged their estrangement.

A tray dropped onto Jungkook's table with a loud clang, and Taehyung took a seat opposite him.

"Are you going to eat that?"

Taehyung pointed at Jungkook's grilled fish, his chopsticks poised over Jungkook's tray, ready to swoop in and pluck the fish like an eagle grabbing a fleeing rabbit from an open field.

"No," Jungkook answered listlessly.

Taehyung whooped with delight as he moved the fish from Jungkook's tray to his, and in exchange he gave Jungkook all of his beef bulgogi.

"What's with the sad face, Kookie?"

Jungkook glared at Taehyung.

He hated whenever Taehyung called him that because to him, only one person was allowed to call him Kookie and that was his Jin.

But Taehyung was unrepentant and simply smirked at him, his cheeks bulging with food as he chewed.

"Just eat your food, Tae, and leave me alone."

Taehyung heard the underlying gloom in his friend's voice, and decided to respect his request.

For the next few minutes, the only sound heard was their spoons brushing against their trays as they ate.

"Hey Jungkook," Taehyung broke the silence.

Jungkook looked up at his friend, and was immediately piqued with curiosity at the apprehension in his friend's eyes.

"I'm going to see my hyung and Jin-hyung this weekend."

Jungkook felt his heart skip a beat, and then race with anticipation.

Is my Jin-hyung coming home?

"I'm going to Seoul with my parents for winter break, and we'll be staying with hyung and Jin-hyung."

Jungkook's heart plummeted to his feet.

Not only had he missed his Jin's birthday, he was now not going to see him for Christmas and New Year's.

"Can I come too?"

The request was out of Jungkook's mouth before he even had time to think about it.

Taehyung's face fell.

"I'm sorry but no. My hyung said I can't invite any friends."

Jungkook gritted his teeth as he pictured the many ways he would dismember Frankenstein the next time he saw him.

"Please don't be mad, Jungkook. I know how much you miss Jin-hyung, and I tried to convince my hyung to let you come but he wouldn't budge."

"It's alright, Tae. It's not your fault. You tried."

Jungkook stood up and grabbed his tray of unfinished food.

"I'm going to go. I'll see you in class."

Jungkook could feel Taehyung's eyes on his back as he put away his tray after disposing of his food.

He managed to walk out of the cafeteria as though he had no cares in the world, but the moment he left Taehyung's sight, he ran.

He made his way to the quiet secluded place on the school roof, and there he cried for his Jin-hyung.