48. Fight Back

~song of the day~
  Anything can happen- saint jhn

  ~song of the day~   Anything can happen- saint jhn

Gray's POV

FCA-3158

FCA-3158

FCA-3158

My days in the cagers have taught me one thing and one thing only. The importance of plate numbers. It didn't matter if the person you were searching for wasn't the owner of the car. That's why most people choose to use boats as a means of escape. The moment one gets spotted in a car, they are dead meat to the Cagers. And right now, whoever was behind the wheels of that car was sure not to see tomorrow's daylight.

I adjust my grip around Kelch's shoulder. Like the residual vibrations you get from plucking the strings of an acoustic guitar, Kelch's body shakes with the same frequency. Her hands, stained dark red with Zyair's blood, clutches onto his left hand. There's a nurse on the other side of his body, administering first aid to him.

My eyes trail over Zyair's unconscious body; his jeans were torn and slashed apart in different areas, and it wasn't in a fashionable way. There's a large opening of skin at the top of his knee- white with red patches scattered all over it. A clear liquid spills down from it and onto the bed. His face is barely recognizable, battered, and covered with blood and dirt from grazing the asphalt road. I squeeze my eyes shut and rest my head with a sigh.

Everything was my fault. I knew how dangerous the Cagers were more than anyone else, yet I let my friends get involved.

Stupid.

I am nothing but a burden to the people I love. I was putting them all in danger by staying around them. I knew it, but I ignored it.

Kelch's small cold hands squeeze mine tightly. "It's not your fault," her voice is low, but I hear her clearly. She places a kiss on my fingertips.

A tear falls from my eyes, and I don't bother to wipe them away. I don't open my eyes either, the sight of her sympathetic face would break me. So I remain silent.

It doesn't take long for us to get to the hospital. Or maybe it did. I couldn't really tell. My mind was far away, churning with thoughts of their own. The hospital staff meets us outside, and chaos follows as Zyair is rushed into the hospital with multiple staff next to him.

Kelch runs with the nurses, and I watch them disappear into the building. My legs remain stuck on the sidewalk, refusing to budge regardless of how hard my brain pushes me. I stare at the gravel below me while guilt engulfed every part of my being.

Unable to bring myself to watch Zyair in pain, I turn and walk away.

The accident scene was a few blocks from the hospital. I find my car, enter and drive away. I was in the middle of my directionless ride when I get a call from an unknown number.