53. The spy

Thank you rhysandbishzz for the beautiful cover above❤️

  ~song of the day~
  Anything can happen - Saint Jhn

  ~song of the day~   Anything can happen - Saint Jhn

Dove's POV

We are all gathered in the waiting room, consumed by our thoughts after the doctor had us whisked out of the room to give Zyair some space. Gray had left to see the doctor and talk about Zyair's condition.

Overwhelmed with anxiety, I bite my left thumb fingertips to keep myself busy. The acrylic of that nail broke off a few days ago, and I hadn't had the time to fix a new one.

My phone rings, popping Aaron's name onto my phone screen.

"Hello."

"Dove, I don't think I can make it to the hospital tonight. Elliot's dad got into a ski accident this morning, so we have to drive down there. Well, I have to drive because Eliot is freaking out," Aaron rushes his words, breathing loudly.

I stand up, pacing around in circles, debating what to tell him about Zyair. I mean, nothing was certain yet.

"Zyair's awake," I say, skipping the part about him not being able to feel his feet.

Aaron is silent for a while. It's when he lets out a shaky breath did I realize he was still on the call. "Fuck, I'll be there as soon as I drop Elliot off."

"Who were you talking to?" Fawn asks.

I was about to answer her when I see Gray walking towards us, gripping my attention. Ashley and Fawn instantly stand.

"What did the doctor say?" Ashley asks, voicing out all our thoughts.

"I've got two news. A good one and a bad one. Which one first?" Gray asks, his eyes trained on the three of us.

"The bad one first."

Gray takes a deep breath and wipes his mouth with his palm. "The doctor thinks Zyair might have paraplegia."

"Oh my God," Ashley gasps, holding on to my arm for support. "Oh my God."

"It's not certain yet. He's still under-diagnosis," Gray emphasizes, holding on to Ashley's shoulder.

He puts Ashley to sit, and I sit next to her, wrapping my arms around her shoulder, cradling her. She felt light and had already lost a lot of weight this past week.

"What's the good news?" Fawn asks.

"Zyair's mum is pregnant."

My head jerks up, a heavy feeling settling in my stomach. Zyair was an only child all his life and always craved younger siblings. His parents did try to have other kids after him, but it either didn't work or lead to a miscarriage. Eventually, they stopped trying and choose to spoil Zyair as best as they could.