58. Acceptance letters

~song of the day~
Arms around you - XXXTENTACION

  ~song of the day~   Arms around you - XXXTENTACION

Dove's POV

One week later

Letting a deep breath out my lips, I push through the glazed doors and step into the school hallway. I pull my hoodie cover over my head and shove my hands into my pocket.

Lately, everyone has wanted to know how I'm doing as I was the closest to Luca. They all thought that the same person who shot Ashley killed Luca. And they all seemed to have an unsolicited opinion about how I should grieve. A part of me blamed myself for his death, while the other was convinced it was his fault. 

After everything Luca had put me through, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. I was the one who led him on and abused his emotions because I had wanted to make Gray jealous. Just because it didn't mean much to me, I failed to see Luca's feelings. And for that, I blame myself.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a locker, covered with multiple sticky notes and flowers all over the ground. I stare at Luca's locker, frozen until my eyes get blurry and start to sting.

"Want to leave a message?" I feel a pair of hands rest on my shoulders. I raise my head slightly to see Elliot standing next to me. He holds up a sticky note and a marker.

I shake my head weakly. "I have nothing to say."

"You don't have to say anything. You could just draw a picture or write numbers. Anything," Elliot urges, pushing the paper in my direction.

I knew he wasn't going to give up, so I grab the paper from his hand and walk towards Luca's locker. I place the sticky note on another one since there was no space left. Everyone had something to write about him, both those who knew him and those that didn't. Although, some of the messages were a little less than modest.

My pen lays still in my hands as I consider what to write. I was blank. So, I draw a huge heart that almost covers the entire paper. I proceed to write the same words that has been going through my mind.

I'm sorry.
And thank you.

I write those words in the middle of the heart and take steps backward. A white rose sticks out to my right. I pull my hoodie back to thank whoever handed me the rose.

Gray looks at me with a soft smile, silently urging me to take the rose from his hand. I collect it and walk towards Luca's locker again. The rose had a small sticker paper attached to the stem, so I was able to pin it next to my note.

I let out a small sigh and wipe my face because I didn't trust myself not to cry. Gray wraps his arms around my shoulders as we stare at Luca's locker.

A few minutes after Sabrina had shot Luca, the police arrived and took her away before she could do any more damage. She managed to get three bullets in Luca, the last one being a pierce in his heart. He died on the spot, and I still feel like a part of me died with him. I was also grateful for Gray during this period. He had been there more than anyone else and didn't even complain when I refused to eat for two days after Luca's death. He helped me stay sane, refusing to leave my side for even a minute.