The village

Sree

I was in my room for most of the time, I thought that I would go to my home for the night and come back tomorrow morning when we had to travel to the village. Veena ma had agreed.

She asked Vikram to drop me. He hesitated but finally agreed. He was silent throughout. I was very excited to see my mom and grandpa.

We started early, the next day morning.
We were to go by car.
I sat at the back of the car seat with Veena ma, she wanted me to sit in the front but I  insisted that I wanted to sit with her.
It was 5 hour travel.. We got down in the middle to have breakfast. Vikram was silent throughout. He seemed to be in a deep thought. We had dosas' and coffee and came back to the car soon.

I looked out and saw a black car.. My mind suddenly went to that day when we went to Anya's flat when I felt we were followed.. I wondered why suddenly, I was thinking about that..

We reached around 2pm . The house was ancient yet large.. It was made of bricks and had a thatched roof. . There were lots of steps and the door height was less..

"Be careful when you get in Sree", Veena ma warned me.

We went inside and met Vikram's grandma. She had gray hair with specs and was shorter than me. She seemed strict.

Veena ma fell at her feet and she asked us to follow.. She blessed us..

" Ohh. This is Vikrama's bride, what is your name ? ", she asked me.

I held my chuckle hearing her name for Vikram.

" Sreedevi", I said

"Ooh, seems like goddess Sreedevi herself visited the house, may you bring luck to the family.. Bhanu would have been happy if she were alive. ", she said

Bhanu was Vikram's biological mom. He had told me before coming here that this grand mom was his biological mother's mom. She lived alone in this house and refused to move to the city. The servants sometimes gave her company.

I smiled at her.
I looked at Vikram and noticed his expression had changed. His grand mom then went to him and commented on how thin he had become.

We had lunch soon, which his grand mom had prepared. The rest of the day went soon by talking with his grand mom and Veena ma. Vikram had brought his laptop and was busy in his work.

At night, his grand mom directed us to sleep in a room stating that the fan works better there. There wasn't a bed, but still I wondered how she allowed two people who didn't marry yet to sleep in the same room.

There were 2 thin mattresses and 2 pillows for us to sleep.

I pulled mine to the end of the room near the wall.
I couldn't sleep... It was a new place and it wasn't comfortable. I looked over to Vikram. I got up to drink water and then exited the room.

Vikram
I couldn't sleep. I could sleep only on a bed mostly. I tossed and turned and looked at her. The darkness made that impossible too. I then heard her going out of the room.. Where was she going, this late at night..
I followed her.. I saw the entrance door of the house open..
She was sitting, looking outside the house.
I came behind her and patted her shoulder. She got so scared that she started shouted. I put my hand on her mouth to stop that..

"What are you doing so late here? ", I asked

" Couldn't sleep, you? ", she asked

" Same",

" Come in, this time alone in the darkness outside, aren't you afraid", I asked

"What's there to be afraid? ", she asked