Chapter 32

The Salvatore Boarding House
Rose's POV:

"So, why did Mikael start hunting Klaus?" I asked curiously.

"When Nik made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf gene." Rebekah explained.

"So, after when he killed me?" I asked curiously.

"I would presume so, but it was delayed a while. It wasn't until he killed a man that he started to turn." Rebekah said confused.

"That can't be right." I frowned. "Since he would have been a hybrid before your mother cursed him, he should have started changing right after he realized I was dead. That is, unless someone else killed me?"

"I'm not sure." Rebekah said sadly. "But anyways, after he triggered his curse, he became my fathers greatest shame."

"Yeah, Elijah told me this part of the story." Elena nodded. "Your mother had an affair with one of the werewolf villagers. Klaus isn't Mikael's son."

"She tried to make it right." Rebekah explained. "She put the hybrid curse on Nik to suppress his werewolf side, and then she turned her back on him, but Mikael's greatest weakness as a human was his pride.  As a vampire that was magnified. He went on a rampage and killed half the village. Then he came home and killed her."

"Mikael killed your mother?" I asked shocked.

"He said she broke his heart, so he would break her's. He tore it from her chest as Nik watched." Rebekah frowned. "Afterwards, my father took off in a rage, and the rest of my family scattered. Nik stayed so he could help me bury her and Erika. He knew I had to say goodbye to my mother and best friend, as he had to say goodbye to the love of his life. I think that's what broke him most when we first turned. It's what started this rage and fear of being alone. Even our promise of Always and Forever never truly helped him get over you."

I nodded in understanding. After going through all of that, no one could be perfectly sane.

"Always and Forever?" Elena scoffed. "Even though he locked you in a coffin for 90 years?"

"We're vampires." Rebekah sighed. "Our emotions are heightened. I'm stubborn, Elijah's moral, and Nik, Nik has no tolerance for those who disappoint him. Well, maybe except for one. But, over a thousand years as a family we've all made that mistake at least once. I've made it several times."

"But you still love him?" Elena asked.

"He's my brother, and I'm immortal." Rebekah scoffed. "Should I spend and eternity alone instead?"

"It's okay, Beckah, you're not alone." I assured. "You have me."

Rebekah smiled and I could tell she was getting emotional. Rebekah avoided looking at Elena and walked towards the door.

"You've heard enough of the story, it's time for you to leave." Rebekah turned around and saw that Elena had no intention on dropping the subject, which is what I tried telling her in the first place. "Is said leave, Elena! I don't know what you're up to, but I am no longer playing along!"

"I'm just looking for one good reason why we shouldn't wake Mikael." Elena shrugged.

"Elena! She has given you a ton!" I snapped. "But we know you will anyways! As long as it gets me and Klaus out of the picture, yeah?!"

"It's no secret that I want Klaus dead." Elena shrugged.

"No, but it is a secret to the Salavtore's and the rest of your family that you want Rose dead." Rebekah glared. "Do what you will anyways, wake Mikael at your own peril. But make no mistake. If you come after my brother and Rose, I will rip you apart! And I get my temper from my father!"