Chapter 49

Later:
Rosalie's POV:

I was helping Rebekah for an hour with everyone else when Caroline showed up.

"What is this?"Caroline frowned as I handed Matt a box of twinkling lights.

"It's the decade dance." Matt shrugged. "Remember you made us sign up to help."

"No." Caroline stated. "This! The twenties. We're doing the seventies."

"Too flashy people, it's supposed to be a speakeasy, not the world's fair." Rebekah told some of the other students. This should be good... "Oh, good, you're here. We need help setting up the tables, so get to it. Rose, you're with me."

"What do you think you're doing?" Caroline frowned.

"Here we go." I whispered to Matt making him smile.

"Somebody has to be in charge." Rebekah shrugged.

"Yeah, me. I'm the chair of the dance committee." Caroline stated. "The theme of the decade dance is the 1970's."

"So you'd rather dress in tacky colors with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age." Rebelah frowned. "Honestly I don't know what Tyler see's in you."

"Maybe he likes me because I don't sleep with everyone I make eye contact with." Caroline seethed.

"Caroline!" I scolded.

She gave me an apologetic look, knowing how much I hate that being said about people, especially if it isn't true.

"Maybe we can do both decades." Matt suggested.

"No." The three of us all said at the same time. That would just be stupid.

"Go on Matt, don't be a coward." Rebekah pouted. "You know you loved my twenties idea when I presented it to the group."

"Traitor!" Caroline frowned.

"Bell bottoms and disco?" Matt frowned. "I don't know, this just seemed cooler."

"See, it's just cooler." Rebekah smirked.

"Ugh! Rose? Help me out here!" Caroline complained.

"Care, I love you, and you have some amazing ideas, but you know how much I love the '20s. I literally dressed up as a Flapper three years in a row for holloween from ages 9-12." I pointed out.

"Whatever!" Caroline scoffed. "Have fun at your stupid dance!"

Caroline stormed out of the cafeteria causing Matt to go after her.

Later That Day:

After finishing set up the dance I headed back to the Salvatore Boarding House, Jenna was drinking in the parlor when I walked in.

"Where's Stefan?" I asked.

"Klaus showed up." Jenna stated. "Stefan is trying to get the stake's location out of Ric."

"Great." I sighed. I looked at Jenna then back at the floor.'

"What's wrong?" Jenna asked.

"How was he?" I frowned.

"Klaus?"

I nodded.

"Looked like he hasn't slept in the past 24 hours. Smelled of booze. Seemed crueler that normal." Jenna admitted. "I really think you leaving had done a big number on him in 24 hours."

"I don't know what to do Jenna." I frowned. "You know everything I've been through. Stefan says he wouldn't intentionally hurt me. I don't know what to do."

"Okay, forget the mate bond for a second and that you're destined to be together. What do you feel when he's not around? How do you feel if he ended up with someone else? And how does he make you feel when it's just the two of you?" Jenna asked.

"I feel like my heart is breaking every minute I'm not at least in the same house as him. If he ended up with someone else, I'd let him go, if that's what truly made him happy." I shrugged. "And, when we're together, just us, he makes me feel like the happiest girl in the world."

"You love him. With or without the mate bond, it doens't matter, you still love him." Jenna pointed out. "I think he's just having a hard time adjusting the same way you are. Think about it. He's spent 1,000 years killing and torturing whoever he pleases, not saying that's right, but, I can see that he's trying to fix himself, hell, you even got Ric, Jeremy, Katherine, Lexi, Bonnie, and I to like him. When he's not killing innocent poeple that is."

I couldn't help but smile.

"Honey, I know it's hard to find a balance, and Elena certainly doesn't help that, but you both are trying so hard. Don't give up on each other." Jenna encouranged. "If that was the case, Ric and I wouldn't try to be making it work through his alter ego right now. Hell, we wouldn't have made it pass the Isobel fiasco if we just gave up. Give it time."

"Thanks Jenna." I smiled as we hugged.

"Anytime." Jenna assured.

"Isn't this nice." A familiar voice said making me jump.

I turned around to see Klaus and Rebekah.

Jenna was right. I could smell the booze from here and he looked like complete wreck, like he didn't sleep in a few days.

"Stefan find the location of the stake yet?" Klaus asked making me scoff.

Jenna bumped me with her elbow.

I rolled my eyes. I may still love him, but forgiving him, eh, I'll make him work for it. I can be civil though.

"He's getting it out of Ric as we speak."

Just as I said it Stefan came around the corner.

"Now that wasn't so hard, was it?" Klaus smirked as Rebekah headed towards the basement to go grab Ric. When she came back up Alter Ego Ric was glaring at all of us as. "It's a little gratuitous, don't you think Stefan? I would have more gentle."

"Stop trying to edge him on." I frowned.

"I'm going to take him to the caves." Rebekah stated. "You're going to go inside and fetch me the stake. And if you think you can hide, you're wrong."

"And then there were four." Klaus smirked. "I know all about your brothers little trip to Denver. He failed. Not that that's news anymore."

"So what are you going to do now, Klaus?" Stefan frowned. "Are you going to kill me?"

"I haven't actually decided yet." Klaus shrugged.

"Oh, sure you have." Stefan stated as Klaus sat down next to me on the couch. "See, you've had every chance and every excuse imaginable to do it, yet you haven't. Which means you don't want to."

"You know something, you're right." Klaus nodded. "See, I'm still waiting for my old friend to come back. By the looks of it, he's just beneath the surface. Waiting to come out and play. Isn't that right, ripper?"

"I've been fighting that part of myself. Thinking that if I repress it, it would go away. But it won't. And now that I've accepted it, it can't control me." Stefan shrugged. "And neither can you. So unless you're going to stake me, why don't you get the hell out of my house."

Klaus frowned then was gone.