TRACK 8

8:03 AM

Jeff:

Meeting today before we head out @ 10 am sharp – don't be late.

A few weeks had passed since the night of the concert, and slowly many things were changing. Or, so I was told.

Hank had officially become the manager for The L.A. Devils and was reported to get them signed to a decent recording contract. Jeff had briefly said that TJ, Silas, Weston, and Patrick had all moved into a new house, supposedly paid for by the company. Hank described the outside of their old, rundown apartment as a war zone for paparazzi, camping out for as long as possible until they got a photo of TJ. It was an issue of security. Not just for their living arrangements, but also for the contract they had just signed. They were worried about TJ hitting a breaking point and attacking a cameraman. And Hank feared it would result in them getting dropped from the label before anything could start.

Of course, this was all hearsay. It's not like I heard any information firsthand.

The news of TJ's father went far past a day in the news cycle. It was picked up by almost every media outlet I could find. An illegitimate child, as they were labelling her, from one of the world's biggest rock stars seemed to be all anyone could focus on these days.

Unable to stop myself from falling into the trap, I read gossip sites to find most of my updates on the situation. But it didn't make me feel any less guilty. I was currently giving in to reading what I had sworn I hated. It wasn't an easy pill to swallow.

There was little information that seemed credible, which only furthered my guilt from being as intrigued by the situation as I was. The only statement given was by Richard Stanton himself, who told a paparazzi to get a camera out of his "fucking face". At least it was clear where TJ's attitude came from.

I glanced down at my phone, contemplating the same thought I struggled with every day. To send a text, or to not. Although it was childish to fight with this for as long as I had, I assumed the changes they were all facing were hard to adjust to. Maybe answering phones was not something she would want to do right now. And I was not sure what her reaction would be from seeing my name pop-up on her phone.

Besides, I had other things to keep me occupied throughout the week. The new single had been selected and the recording was finalized. Jeff wasn't too thrilled when I told him the album was being redone. Thankfully, his frustration greatly dwindled when he listened to it, and even more when I told him it was almost done. This time, I was honest.

Turning on the television, I flipped through the channels, stopping when her image appeared on the screen. At this rate, I just had to accept that there was no escaping her. To be fair, it was a promotional image of the entire band. But my eyes were drawn to her.

9:27 AM

"Seriously?"

I turned my head to see Ryan, clearly prepared and ready to go.

"Shit!" I got up quickly from my spot. "Give me two minutes!"

I hurried to my room and changed into something more presentable than sweatpants and an old shirt. I grabbed my luggage and checked that I had all my essentials. As I hurried towards the door, I ran my fingers, my substitute for a comb, through my hair.

"Two minutes exactly," Ryan said as he opened my front door.

The two of us made our way into the parked car and I gave a quick apology to the driver who waved it off before starting the journey towards the office.