TRACK 29 - PART 1

With (NO) love, Tyler-Jane Roberts

"I can't believe I have to leave in a few hours."

The entire morning had begun with a dark cloud hanging over both our heads. No matter how many fake smiles we gave each other, there was no hiding the sadness that lingered over the fact I was leaving. Even with our limited time actually spent together, the past three days had been a whirlwind. And putting an end to that feeling was the last thing I wanted to do.

Carter placed his hand on mine and gently squeezed. "I wish you could be there tonight."

"For what?"

"The concert."

I raised a brow, placing my spoon down onto the plate in front of me. "What concert, Carter?"

"I'm performing the entire album tonight for fans right before the release. I didn't tell you?"

"No, you didn't," I mumbled, looking back down at the yogurt in front of me.

I knew I was desperate for a distraction by turning to food. My mind needed to focus on something other than missing out on a special night like tonight. Carter was performing all his songs - and I wouldn't get the chance to be there to support him.

"You're going to break my heart, baby," Carter's voice cooed. He reached forward, wiping away a tear I was unaware that had fallen. "Come on," his fingers went under my chin. "Look at me."

"I feel stupid crying in front of all these people," I whispered, slowly turning my head.

"Oh, come on. They're not paying attention to us - they're busy on the other side of the room." Carter leaned forward, placing a kiss on my forehead. "Let me talk to Jeff and see if there's anything he can do."

"No!" the word was uttered from my mouth too quickly to not raise suspicion. I cleared my throat. "He's too busy to deal with something like this, I'm sure."

Carter glanced in his manager's direction before looking back at me. "I mean, he did sort out all your travel arrangements. Maybe there's something he can change to let you stay tonight." He quickly kissed my lips and kept himself within close proximity as he added, "Just let me ask. The worst thing he can do is say no."

I nodded in agreement - already knowing my fate. There was no way Jeff hadn't strategically planned this. Ensuring I was out the door on Carter's special night was probably his way of reminding me who was in charge of this entire thing.

My cell phone began to ring as Jeff made his way over to the table with Elijah and Nadine. "I should take this," I said, catching a glimpse of the name on the caller ID. I gave Carter a quick kiss before hurrying into the bedroom, closing the door behind me. Taking a deep breath, I answered the call and pressed the device to my ear. "Hello?"

"Jane, sweetheart!"

"Hi, Mom."

"I'm so glad I got you. I heard you were out of town so I assumed I would get your voicemail instead. Are you busy, Jane?"

"No, I'm fine," I said hesitantly, looking over at the closed door, "Is everything okay?"

"Oh, yes, of course, it is! I wanted to call you and say thank you. I'm all set up at the facility now - oh, honey, it's amazing here. The nurses are all great. This must be expensive. Are you sure this is okay?"

I sunk my teeth into my bottom lip. "Of course. I just want you to get better."

"I promise I won't let you down - I'm going to stay clean this time. With all these doctors watching over me, there's no chance I'll slip up again."