TRACK 17

monday

TJ: Thanks again for last night

TJ: Maybe you'll get lucky and I'll let you take me out again

tuesday

TJ: You sound pretty good on the radio. Congrats

wednesday

TJ: Guess what! Huge news!!

Missed Call: TJ Roberts

TJ: Call me when u can?

thursday

TJ: Hey idk if you saw what's going on. Can I call you?

friday

Missed Call: TJ Roberts

TJ: I know you're probably busy but I could really use someone to talk to right now.

Missed Call: TJ Roberts

Once the plane had landed and I turned my cellphone on, I mentally cursed at the messages that appeared on my screen. Instead of heading home, as I had told Jeff, I gave the driver a new address.

I knocked on the front door, impatiently waiting for it to open. With each passing second, the guilt only rose higher. I couldn't imagine what she was thinking right now. I only hoped that she would find it in her heart, even if she had to dig deep down, to hear me out. Then again, I was dealing with TJ.

As the door swung open, my heart sank further down when I caught sight of the person standing in front of me.

"Is TJ here?"

Weston crossed his arms over his chest. "Why?"

"Why am I asking if TJ is here?" When my question was met with no response, I added, "Because I'd like to talk to her."

"Funny."

I let a frustrated sigh slip. "Come on, man. Is she here or not?"

"She is."

"Okay, so could you let me in so I can talk to her?"

"I don't think she wants to talk to you right now."

I took a deep breath, trying to calm the anger inside that was quickly rising. "I'd rather TJ be the one to tell me that."

"Fine," Weston said, moving to the side. "Good luck then. She's in her room."

I could feel the tension as I stepped inside the house, feeling two pairs of eyes staring at me from the living room. I did my best to ignore it. However, it only made the knot in my stomach tighten. Pausing outside her door, I took a deep breath, preparing myself for whatever I was about to walk into. Before I could talk myself out of it, I knocked on the door.

"Wes, I said I'd be done in 10!" TJ called out from the other side.

I slowly opened the door. TJ hadn't seen me yet, but as soon as she did, the smile on her lips instantly faded.