TRACK 27 - PART 1

The blaring sound of my alarm was the last thing I wanted to hear this early in the morning. My eyes slowly opened. There was only a small amount of light in the darkened room, which came from the small separation from the curtains that covered the window. The light provided a gentle glow of the body lying next to mine.

TJ was still fast asleep, curled up under the covers. I slowly pulled the arm that rested across her waist back, not wanting to wake her. Hopefully, I would get the chance to say goodbye to her before I had to leave for the day - I still had an hour or two before I had to be out the door. I had a strong inclination that her sleep schedule had suffered as much as mine had the last week, and I didn't want to wake her to only say goodbye.

Finally building the strength to get out of the warmth and comfort of the bed, I made my way towards the bathroom with heavy feet. Today would be long - like every other day - but I knew it would feel even longer knowing TJ was back at the hotel. Unfortunately, her sudden appearance wasn't enough of an excuse to get out of my schedule for the day. Although I wish it was.

"It hasn't even been a full twenty-four hours of us being boyfriend and girlfriend and you're already sneaking out of bed?" A half-awake voice purred as I finished my morning routine.

I leaned against the doorframe of the bathroom. "I was trying to not wake you up."

"Well, mission failed," she teased, resting on her side. TJ pulled the comforter back from my side of the bed and tapped her hand against the mattress. "Now, come back to bed."

"I wish I could," I said, slowly walking towards her. "But I have a busy day ahead."

TJ raised her arm, placing her hand on my cheek. "I keep forgetting you have all this work to do and this isn't a vacation. I don't want to be a distraction-"

"You're not." I turned my head slightly to the side, pressing a kiss against her palm. "In fact, you're helping me make it through all of this."

"I am? How? I just got here."

"It's been a hard week."

TJ shifted her position on the bed, sitting up on her knees. "Because of me?"

I caught the worried look in her eye and shook my head. "No, not because of you," I told her honestly. "There's... a lot that goes into these weeks. And, it doesn't always make it enjoyable to do it alone. But now that you're here, I have something to look forward to when the day is all done."

"Well, as long as I'm a distraction," she said with fake innocence, placing her hands delicately on my shoulders.

"How long are you here for?"

"Jeff booked my flight back for Thursday morning."

Seventy-two hours never felt so short.

I leaned forward and pressed my lips against hers. It was short, yet sweet. Ever since we had made it official, any gesture, even the smallest ones, felt a hundred times more impactful.

"You taste like toothpaste," she mumbled against my lips.

"I hope that's a good thing."

"That you practice basic hygiene?" She teased, wrapping her arms around my neck, "Yes, it's a good thing that you taste minty fresh."

"We probably have only five minutes before a team of people start pounding on that front door."

"Better not waste another second then. Besides, I remember us being very efficient with only five minutes."