TRACK 42 - PART 1

There was only one thing on my mind: I was ecstatic to be home.

I spotted a familiar face in the window. Rory's eyes widened and she quickly disappeared behind the curtain once she realized I had caught her. I made my way towards the front door, surprised to see it open before I was able to knock.

"Uncle Carter!" she greeted me with a happy squeal.

"Oh, hello there," I said, dropping my bag on the ground so I could scoop the girl up into my arms. "Did you miss me?"

She nodded her head, wrapped her arms around my neck as I made my way into the house.

Noticing the darkness of the room, I looked at her. "Hm, now isn't this odd? Where is everyone?"

Rory leaned closer and whispered, "turn the lights on," into my ear.

"These?" I asked, playing along.

She nodded.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Uncle Carter!"

Flicking the switch, the light fixture flickered a couple of times before the room was illuminated.

"Surprise!" The familiar faces of my family shouted from the dining room table with a large Welcome Home Carter banner hanging behind them.

I turned to the girl in my arms. "Did you know about this?"

"No!" she squealed out in a fit of giggles.

Dad had already made his way into his favourite chair - the old brown leather recliner that was positioned in front of the television - and had turned on the game. Pretending as if the issue at hand was not happening was how it went with him. I could not fault him for always deciding to cope this way. It's not like knowing where I had been for the past six weeks was easy on him. Or anyone around me.

"Hey, Pops," I greeted, clasping my hand against his shoulder.

"Good to have you home, kid," he said with a faint smile before his attention went back to the game.

Ma was next to greet me. She was the complete opposite with her emotions; it was easy to read how she was feeling. And just like every other time, the flow of questions quickly tumbled from my mother's mouth.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling great, Ma."

"Did you sleep enough?"

"I did."

"Are you hungry?"

"No, I'm okay."

"Are you sure? I can make you something quick."

"I'm not hungry, Ma. I ate before I left."

"Okay, but if you change your mind-"

"I'll let you know," I said. "Thank you, Ma."

She gave me a tight-lipped smile in response - something she did whenever she was trying to hold back her tears - and waved her hand dismissively. "I'm okay," she said quietly as if predicting the exact question I was about to ask. "I'm just thankful that you're home and safe."

"Why would Uncle Carter not be safe?" Rory asked, pulling on a strand of my hair. "Did you not have fun on your trip?"

I cleared my throat. "I did have fun."

"You need a haircut, Uncle Carter."

"I guess I could use a trim. Do you know of anyone who could help me out?"