TRACK 22 - PART 2

Making my way back inside the venue, I couldn't help but feel slightly proud of how I had left TJ in her state out in the alleyway. The last thing I wanted was to try and sort out in my head why she was acting the way she was - considering how opposite it was to the last time we had seen each other. Whatever the true reasoning behind her actions, I knew one thing for sure: she was jealous.

I didn't tell Ryan he could leave because I wanted to spend my night with TJ. I did it solely with the intention of having another drink. Well, maybe to spend a few more moments alone with her to catch wind of her game plan. But, it was mostly the access to alcohol that caused my desire to stay. Plus, the chaotic environment was a welcomed distraction.

"Carter!" Whatever-her-name from earlier called out, waving me over.

I wasn't sure why my feet had led me over to her table on the slightly elevated platform - especially when considering she was exactly the type of person I wanted to be far away from tonight. Yet, there I was, making my way over - shockingly, even with a smile. Before I knew it, I had a drink in hand and was surrounded by people I vaguely remembered from my days with Elosie.

"I can't believe it's been that long since we last saw you!" Jason, one of the guys at the table, said. "We used to get wild back in the day!"

I took a sip from my drink to avoid having to respond. As much as I wanted to try and tempt fate, those old habits were something I worked hard to not fall back into. And discussing it felt like I was walking along a dangerous line.

"Where the hell have you been, Young?"

"Putting together his album. Duh!"

"I know that, Fiona. I mean since he and Elle broke up. That was like, what, beginning of the year?"

There were two things I quickly picked up on. Whatever-her-name was actually named Fiona. And these friends were Elle's social friends - because her real friends would have known that one, we had broken up long before the beginning of the year, and two, known not to discuss it in a public setting like this.

"When is Elle even back? I feel like she's been gone for, like, ever," Fiona said to a female friend beside her. "She's in Europe," she said to me, pouring another drink, "Shooting some big movie, or something."

"Oh, good for her." There was no sarcasm in my tone. I truly meant what I said. It wasn't like the two of us ended things on bitter terms; our contract was up.

"I think she's dating some art dealer now or... a model... or..." Fiona shrugged. "How about you? Are you seeing anyone?"

I shook my head, taking another, and much longer, sip of my drink.

"Not even the girl shooting me daggers from the bar?" Fiona reached out her hand as I turned to look, and gripped my arm. "Don't look so fast, you freak!" She looked past me for a brief second. "Okay, look now - but, not so fast!"

I rolled my eyes and slowly turned my head. There she was, leaning against the bar next to a guy who appeared to be talking her ear off. I could sense her annoyance from all the way over here.

"Is that the girl?"

Looking back at Fiona, I did my best to give her a nonchalant shrug. "Sorry. I don't know who that is," I said, refilling my glass.

"So, do you think I should be worried that she is going to murder me or something?" She asked with a laugh. When I didn't answer, she added, "I love her dress. And her hair. It's such a pretty shade of pink..."

I tuned out the sound of her voice as my eyes found their way back to TJ. She looked forward, meeting my glance. That famous smirk of hers made an appearance. How it was even fucking possible for her to make me weak with one simple look - I would never know. And yet, there she stood, commanding my attention with it.