TRACK 51 - PART 1

"Please tell me you're fucking joking."

"I'm not."

"Do I need to get you drug tested then? Because you must be out of your fucking mind."

"I'm not out of my mind. And test me all you want but I'm not high."

Jeff paced back and forth. "Then something has to be going on because this doesn't make any fucking sense, Carter!"

"It makes perfect sense."

"Married?" he cried out. "That makes perfect sense to you? You two getting fucking married?"

"Yes. It does."

"And, you honestly thought I would be okay with this?"

I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm not here to ask for your permission. I told you as a formality."

"This is a mistake, Carter."

"No, it's not. We love each other and we want to take this step. I didn't expect you to pop a bottle of champagne over the news but I thought you would be a little more understanding."

"Understanding of what, exactly? That you want to throw your life away for some girl who's probably snorted more drugs up her nose than you and I have ever seen before? The one who's a fucking PR nightmare and sent you spiralling for months? The one who has been living under your roof rent free because she has no job or money and no plans to fucking change that any time soon?"

His words sparked a rage inside me I hadn't felt in a very long time.

"You shut your fucking mouth!" I snarled. "You don't know the first thing about her."

Jeff scoffed. "Really? I knew more about her life from that first binder than you will ever know." He took a step forward, his voice dropping to a much calmer tone. "I am trying to protect you, Carter."

"You're trying to control me."

"Is that what you think I'm doing? All I'm trying to do is protect you from someone that you don't know. Marrying her is a mistake. A huge fucking mistake." He let out a frustrated sigh. "This entire thing has gone on far too long. I should have put a stop to it months ago."

"What are you talking about?"

Jeff reached into his duffle bag and pulled out a binder. "You take a look and tell me one thing that you honestly know about in here," he placed the heavy item down in front of me, "And, I will never bring this up again. In fact, I'll pay for your honeymoon."

1 MONTH AGO

"LA's always felt so far removed,

Home feels like Seattle when I'm with you."

"You've been fucking fantastic tonight, New York!"

The crowd erupted with cheers.

"I am so glad I get to spend my twenty-fifth birthday here with all of you." I paused, waiting for the crowd to die down again before continuing. "As you may know, my song Home got nominated for a GMA. It's quite an honour, really. One I truly wasn't expecting. It means a lot to me for many reasons, but, mainly because that song is about someone who I care very deeply about. Someone who inspires me every day. Not only to be a better songwriter, musician, and performer... but a better person. So, in honour of my birthday, I thought I'd share something new with all you guys. Would you like to hear it?"