TRACK 13

"You realize I'm a grown man, right?" I asked, turning my head to the side.

"Yes."

"I am a twenty-four-year-old grown man who is capable of making his own decisions. And his own mistakes."

"Where are you going with this, Young?"

"All I'm saying is if for some reason my career didn't work out, or anything in my life didn't work out, that would be my doing. Not someone else's."

TJ turned to look back up at the ceiling. "Go to bed, Carter."

I shifted onto my side, watching as she squeezed her eyes shut. I extended my arm over her waist, pulling her closer.

"Carter..." her voice warned.

"I'm just trying to sleep," I mumbled, closing my eyes, "I can't fall asleep pretending like you're not beside me."

After a few seconds of silence, I could finally feel her body relax. My fingertips lightly danced along her hip bone, just barely touching the skin. I wanted her. Bad. Worse than ever before. I wouldn't do anything without her permission. Until she said I needed to stop, my fingers would only be lightly touching. Appropriately testing the waters.

To my surprise, she didn't say a word. Not even when I started to make small circular motions.

I wanted to see how far she would let me go. My hand moved up her side, passing underneath the bottom of the oversized t-shirt she had on. Nothing. I traced around her navel. Silence. I slid slightly further up her skin. Still nothing. The shirt she had on began to bunch just below her breasts. And still, not a word.

I glanced up at her face, surprised when our eyes met. Through the small amount of light from the night sky that peeked through the curtains, I could see a smile across her lips.

"Do you still want me to go to bed?" I whispered.

Her teeth sunk into her bottom lip. Then slowly, she shook her head. That look in her eyes told me everything I needed to know. Whatever she said in the bathroom was not her true feelings. TJ wanted me – us. Why she was trying to deny it, I had yet to figure out. My thoughts escaped me as she grabbed ahold of my wrist and guided my hand down her rest in between her legs.

"Still friends?"

She nodded. "Friends... with benefits."

I grinned. "I hear that gets complicated."

"I think you like complicated."

I leaned over her. "I do," I whispered, removing the remaining space between us. My lips pressed against hers, and instantly, I felt her deepen the kiss.

I was beginning to like her definition of friendship.