TRACK 44

Entering the house, I was quite surprised at the scene I walked in on. An after party was the last thing I expected. I had almost forgotten what it was like to navigate a crowd of drunken bodies and had to quickly make a strategic plan to make my way through. Thankfully, it was quite easy to spot the one who had been calling my phone endlessly for the past hour, as she stood on the coffee table and swayed her body back and forth to the blaring music. I was caught off guard by her surprised reaction, especially the way she threw her arms around my neck and pulled me in for an extremely - and extremely public - kiss.

"Carter!" she squealed happily. "What are you doing here?"

If the smell of alcohol was not evident enough, it lingered behind in the taste of that kiss. "You called me-"

"I did?" she sank her teeth into her bottom lip in an attempt to muffle a laugh. "Don't tell my boyfriend that!"

"Your boyfriend?" I questioned, playing along with, well, whatever joke she was attempting. "He must be one lucky guy."

"Mmm," she mumbled against my neck, moving her lips up towards my ear, "He's the best."

"Just so we're clear..." I struggled to keep my focus as she kissed and nipped my skin, "You're not in any impending danger, correct?"

Her lips found their way to mine and she gave me a quick kiss. "Correct," she mumbled, "Not unless you want to get into some." With wide eyes, she gasped. "Oh my god! I love this song!"

TJ turned around and walked back towards the small crowd. I watched with curiosity as she danced and interacted with those around her. It was odd to see her so carefree; given how she was only hours ago, it made me slightly worried.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said from the other end of the call, "I'm fine."

"Baby, come on. I thought we agreed to not use the I'm fine excuse anymore," I held up a finger to Jeff, signalling that I needed a minute, as I turned towards the window. "Does this have anything to do with last week?"

"No, it's not that. It's just stupid, Carter."

"You can tell me. But if you don't want to, I understand. I just hate hearing the hurt in your voice."

TJ sniffled. "I hate what I'm wearing... I look ugly in everything I've tried on... And Gwen isn't here to help me. See, I told you it was stupid."

"No, baby, it's not stupid. I just can't imagine you looking anything but beautiful."

"That was corny," she muttered. "You're my boyfriend. You have to say stuff like that."

"Maybe. But it's true." I grinned at her remark. "Where's Gwen? Why isn't she there?"

"Gwen's at some family thing or sick or something." The shakiness was evident in her voice. She was unable to hold it in for much longer before the impending breakdown exposed itself. "I don't wanna go to this," she sobbed.

"Do you want me to come over?"

She was silent for a brief moment. "You have your meeting."

"I'll reschedule-"

"No - you can't," she was quick with her interjection. "It's fine. I'll figure something out."

My attention was so focused on the sight in front of me, as she danced and spun around in her strapless dress, I barely noticed Weston's presence beside me.