TRACK 40 - PART 3

"Carter?"

"Carter?"

"Carter?"

A voice called out my name. It was far off in the distance, yet it sounded so real - it sounded just like her. The airy way she spoke, the smile behind her words, the laugh she would bite back as she turned her head so I couldn't see her blush... I could hear it all in that voice that called out my name.

If only I had one more chance with her.

"Carter?"

The sound of the voice calling out was followed by the noise of footsteps on the grass.

Is this what always happened when you died? Did your mind play cruel tricks on you and make you think the love of your life was standing over you with a heartbreaking smile?

"There you are," she said, kneeling down beside me. "You scared me! I thought you were dead or something."

"If only she knew what you had tried to do minutes ago," a haunting voice said.

I turned my head to the side, unable to spot the source of the voice. At this particular moment, not seeing Annabelle was for the best. That I knew for sure.

What I didn't know or understand was how the fuck I was alive - well, if I even was. As TJ reached out and touched my arm, there was no doubt in my mind that it was real... that she was actually there beside me. My mouth went dry as I tried to quickly piece everything together. I had witnessed myself being dead; I saw her crying over my lifeless body.

"Did you really think I'd let you get off that easy?" Annabelle appeared on the opposite end of the pool, sitting at the edge.

"Are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Annabelle let out a burst of laughter.

I did my best to ignore the lingering presence as I took a step towards TJ. "I'm okay."

"Oh please, is that what they're calling it these days?" she scoffed. "Hallucinating your own death is code for being okay? How times have changed."

TJ smiled, taking my hand in hers. "Breakfast is ready. Come eat."

As she led us towards the table, I kept stealing glances to the side, looking around. Annabelle was nowhere to be found. And for that, I was thankful. I didn't need her voice in my head as I tried to convince myself I was okay because it was only a reminder that I wasn't.

And I wanted to be okay.

I really wanted to be okay again.

Taking a seat at the table, I was amazed by the spread she had put together. Pancakes, fruit, toast. She had a bit of everything laid out.

"This all looks amazing. You didn't have to do all of this."

"I wanted to," she said, giving my handle a gentle squeeze. "Shit, I forgot the coffee. Start without me! I'll be right back!" TJ disappeared back inside, closing the door behind her.

"Aw, she's sweet." Annabelle appeared in the chair across from me. "I can't imagine why you wanted to leave her behind. That's quite heartless of you, Carter."

"Shut it," I gritted through my teeth.

"Oh, careful now. We all know how you get when you're angry."

"Can you fuck off now? You've had your fun."

She leaned forward with a twisted grin. "No, I'm not missing this. I can't wait to see how you avoid telling her the truth. What lies you spin to make it sound better."