TRACK 51 - PART 3

With (NO) love, Tyler-Jane Roberts

The passing of time was a weird feeling when you no longer cared about your own life.

It neither passed fast nor slow. The same, painful minute only ticked along - like a timer was forever stuck on the fifty-ninth second.

The first time I could remember feeling like this was when I was nine. There were probably times when I was younger when I felt the same, but back then, my childhood innocence could mask the pain. The worst of it came when I was fifteen. I used to think I was happy that someone had stopped me that night. But now I wasn't so sure.

Because now, I was facing the worst of it.

Laying on the ground, with my cheek pressed against the floor, I wondered what would happen if someone walked in on me in this position. Would they stop and check if I was okay? Or would they just pass by?

They would probably pass by. Or, at least they should. It's what I deserved.

My hand grazed my stomach and I realized something was far different than all the other times. This time, something was growing inside me. And if I went, that would mean they would too.

The blaring ring of my cell phone allowed the tinge of hope to return.

It was him. It had to be him. He was calling to say everything would be okay and he was coming home. I knew it. I just knew it.

Finding the last bit of strength within me, I got off the floor and reached for the device. But his name didn't appear on the screen.

1 INCOMING CALL: SILAS

I pressed decline.

An hour had passed since he had left. It would be the perfect time to call. He wouldn't see it - I wouldn't interrupt his night. He could listen to my voicemail after the event and come back home.

Without a second thought, I went to his number and pressed the call button. With the device against my ear, I paced back and forth, waiting for the ringing to end. As I thought, it went to voicemail.

"Carter... when you're you again, please call me, baby. I promise... I can explain everything, okay?" I took a deep breath, squeezing my eyes shut. "I know you're angry and upset with me... But I promise you, I love you, Carter." I gasped for more air, pressing my hand to my stomach. "Please... don't hurt yourself tonight. Just come home when you're ready... please, baby. I love you."

Where was Milo?

Milo was with Gwen.

Where was Gwen?

She could return any minute. And the last thing I wanted was for her to see me like this. I could come up with an excuse about why I didn't go - tell her I felt sick... food poisoning. Or my exhaustion from being pregnant. I assumed it would be too early for morning sickness.

Walking into the bathroom, I jumped at the sight of my reflection. I didn't recognize the person staring back at me.

My hair was a mess, tangled from when he had pulled on it. My make-up was smeared across my face, with unpleasant streaks of stains from my tears running down my cheeks. Picking up the brush, I tried to tame the mess of my hair.

I needed to look better. I needed to look okay.

The mascara marks had returned since he cleaned my under eyes and the colour on my lips was now smudged. My eyes were puffy and red, my face was flushed. I reached for a make-up wipe and cleaned the mess off my face.