Chapter 1

Chapter 1

🌷Adithi POV

"It's fine Meera, I mean even if you give my number to a random guy you find on the street just for fun, to get back at me. It's totally fine!" I shout into my phone without caring about the presence beside me as I walk through the streets near my apartment.

"You seem pretty lonely Adithi, that's the reason I gave your number." Meera snickers from the other side, implying as if she was telling the truth- which she actually was. But she clearly knows why I don't date.

"You better shut up." I deadpan towards her.

"Yeah! Yeah right. Anyway, I will get going my shift starts in about an hour." She tells me and hangs up.

It's so weird taking a day off. Meera insisted saying all I do is look at patients and prescriptions. But that's my job what else do I do? I get paid to look at patients and prescriptions.

I look around and observe the streets while taking in the pollution that goes into my lungs every time I breathe. What a fun day!

As I was looking at different stalls I find a little girl on the street crying no one seems to bother her. Wait! I think I recognize her. That girl is one of my good friend's daughter. It's been long since I met him and not in any way did I try to contact him back. Totally avoided him like a plaque for pretty valid reasons.

I go towards her and pat her head. I believe her name is Sara.

"Hello! I am Adithi, your dad's good friend. What are you doing here? Are you lost?" I ask the little girl who looks at me wide-eyed and scared. After staring at me for a while she nods her head.

"Do you know your dad's number? I can call him." I tell her taking out my phone, terribly regretting the decision already. I know what I am digging up is gonna take me back to my past. But I can't leave a little girl crying on the streets. I can't be that heartless, just because I have a past with her uncle.

She again nods her head and with a feeble and hoarse voice, obviously due to a lot of crying, spats out her father's number. I dial it and wait for the Oh-so-familiar voice to answer the phone. But to my surprise, someone else lifts the phone.

"Hello, Am I talking to Aryan Aroura?" I ask through the phone not recognizing the new voice on the other side.

"Hello, Ma'am. Am his secretary Peush talking, Sir is in a meeting. Is there anything important that you want me to carry forward?" he answers me through the phone.

" I just wanted to let you know Sara is with me. I met her by the road. It would be great if you send someone to pick her up." I tell through the phone, hoping someone would come to pick her up as soon as possible. So, I myself don't have to take her.

" Oh! No, Miss, we have no one available. What do I do?" I hear the literal panic in his voice. So now I have two decisions to make, Get Sara back to her family and Rekindle my old sorrows or leave a girl on street. I made my decision.

"Mr. Peush Please send me the address so I can drop her off. Am well acquainted with the Aroura's." I tell him and his happiness knew no bounds.

This will be hell.

"Thank you, Miss I will inform you at the house that you are bringing Sara back. May I know your name?" He asks me through the phone.

"Adithi Mishra," I answer, he thanks me once again and cuts the call.

I get the address from him only to find it nearby, so I take Sara's hand to walk her home.

The only thought that is running in my mind- What if he is here? He of all the people shouldn't be there.

After a few minutes we reach the house, strike that, It's a mansion. I knew they moved out of their old house and are also filthy rich. But this is ten times bigger than their old house. After a few minutes an old woman, still as beautiful as I remember opens the door. Namratha Aunty- I missed her.

Sara runs from me to her and enveloped her in a hug "Granny !" she shouts. After the meet and greet the lady looks at me, I hope she remembers me.

"Adhiti!" She exclaims.

I look at her and smile "Hello aunty it's been a while" I tell her.

"Darling, it's been 7 years!"She retorts.

Yeah, it's been.

"Why are you waiting outside? Come in. Let's have a tea and talk."

"The new house is beautiful aunty," I tell her as I slowly enter the house leaving my nasty footwear outside, the rugs and everything seem super costly and I don't wanna spoil it.

"It's nothing dear." She tells me urging me to seat myself by the dining table that was right beside their huge hall.

" I am still in touch with Purnima." She says referring to my mother. "She told me you are working at our hospital and you didn't even bother to tell me?" She asks anger radiating from her. She is preparing her famous chai, the chai I grew up drinking. 

I don't answer her back.

"Here is your Adithi Special."She says handing me the teacup. Yes, she named it after me. Namratha Aunty was like my second mother until I had to cut off all my ties because of her second son. I don't even want to talk about him.

"Adithi, I know am kind of dropping a bomb on you." She starts off her fingers playing with the teacup, I was not sure what she was insinuating but I urged her to carry on.

"Marry Karthik. I have been talking to your mom and dad and I think you guys will both be good for each other." She says her hands moving around in a panic about how I would react.

She obviously doesn't know the history between us. If she would have, maybe she wouldn't be asking this. I really can't marry a guy like him, the words he said to me still sting.

"I can't aunty," I tell her putting my cup down and keeping my reaction as neutral as possible. Maybe I would be the first one to go into books for rejecting a marriage proposal with my long-time crush.

"I know what happened between you guys," She says throwing me off, before I could utter a word she continued. "He is not the same Adithi, just meet him once. I really wouldn't want any other taking your position as my daughter-in-law." She grips my hand really tight her eyes brimming with tears.

"I really can't Maa," I tell her, that's what I called her when I was young.

"Ok, then just go on four dates with him, just four! If he seems not fit for you even after that. Don't get married. Okay! Just four!" She is really begging me now and I can't find myself to say no.

"Only four," I say nodding my head. A smile adorns her face. But the same smile deteriorates from mine.

A holiday is all I asked for. What did I get myself into?! Well, this would be a good story to tell Meera.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Thank you for giving my book a chance.

If you like the story don't forget to comment and vote, so I know whatever am writing is to your liking.
~Author