{ 001 }

chapter i.

( ninja and keiko )

The city looked nice at night.

Seeing the lights open up one by one as the darkness came, families coming out of their homes, eating and laughing together.

But, it wasn't always just about the looks.

Even the emotions you feel wafting through the air... it makes you smile, even when you're high above.

But Keiko wasn't out there to be happy, or to hang out with anyone.

She was just doing something she did every night, after her shift at the small convenience store she worked at when she finished school for the day.

She was just listening to the news on the different radio stations, including the ones where the police or the heroes communicate as they roam the streets of the country.

She swayed her feet gently as she blew on her noodles to cool them down a little, though the cool wind passing through was enough to wash the heat away.

As she chewed on her snack, she put down her cup and placed her arm behind her so she could lean back a little, her fingertips grazing the chin of her mask a little.

She sighed, running her other hand through her hair, seeing as the wind had created the small knots littering the surface.

After going up on this building and sitting here every night for three years, she was always able to concentrate here, as no one could bother her from this high up, even for a moment.

Ever since she first put on her mask, the mask that turns her into the vigilante they dubbed as Ninja, she knew she was never destined to have a normal life.
She couldn't stay home and browse through her phone for the rest of the day anymore.
She couldn't ignore the fights she would occasionally come across in those dodgy alleyways.

She couldn't turn her back on any criminal activity she could walk on. Not just because of her alias, but because of the feeling she would get: the feeling of a true hero.

Not that it was a feeling she enjoyed all the time.

It made her body move without her controlling it, thus making her butt into the violence and walk away with injuries.

It made it harder for her to explain to her family the source of her injuries.

Her mother, Suki, was a petite lady with dark blue eyes and matching blue hair. She had the personality of both a laid back mother and a concerned parent, especially when it came to Keiko.

Suki came up with the conclusion that her daughter was being bullied constantly, and announced that she ought to report to the school she went to: Aldera High.

...Until Keiko convinced her that she wasn't being bullied, but that she constantly ran on the streets, causing her to collide with traffic signs that she didn't see or the people that didn't moved away in time.

Not her best excuse, but it worked.

Her father Akira, however, was a different story.

He had black hair and yellow eyes that were impossible to read. He was a built man from his job as a policeman.

For someone who looks carefree at first glance, he was the total opposite. He was a serious guy who would only smile at his loved ones.

When Keiko first arrived with the bruise on her cheekbone, he gave her his signature look of disapproval, which was worse than him voicing his feelings. He even pulled her aside to ask for the real reason.