{ 037 }

chapter xxxvii.

( phase two )

"By the way, Ai," Keiko called to her brother after they saw the arena get demolished and turned into a disaster zone. "Why are you taking the provisional license exam for second years instead of third years?"

Aiko rose an eyebrow. "Why're you only asking now? I expected that to be one of your first questions when you saw me here."

"I didn't think it was the right time to ask, but now that it's break time, I got curious," Keiko shrugged.

Ichiro appeared out of nowhere. "We participated in a competition during the third year exams, so they decided to put us in the next exam, which happened to be for second years."

Keiko tilted her head, slightly confused. "The provisional license exams don't happen at the same time?"

Kai hummed from beside her. "No, they don't. Well, before they did, but nowadays when society relies even on heroes-in-training to help, they decided to not let all the students attend their exams at the same time so when a real disaster strikes during an exam, there are hero students still in their schools that can help if it's far away from the exam site."

"Huh," Keiko said, and stopped there.

She remembered wondering why her class was also in the second year exams, but all Aizawa said was that "heroes don't stick to their comfort zone when it comes to challenges."

That was true, but it was also exhilarating to fight against people with more experience than them, which posed as more as a challenge than a normal exam would have been.

"Oh, it seems my second year's talking to your school," Aiko said, making Keiko look at where he's looking and seeing the band of Shiketsu students talking to Bakugou, a beige-hairy guy in the lead. "I'll be back."

Aiko left them, leaving Keiko with Ichiro and Kai, who were silent.

It was like how they were before a performance; they barely spoke to one another, save for Aiko, since they wanted to get their head in the game and keep their concentration on the task at hand so they can do well.

Keiko didn't mind the silence. She had the same habit anyways, so it also benefited her.

Then suddenly, the box they were in unfolded once more.

Officially starting the next and final stage of their exam.

"Good luck," Keiko said to Ichiro and Kai, the former pulling Keiko into a brief hug and the latter slapping her back harshly, making her groan in pain.

"You too," Ichiro grinned.

▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎

This time, Keiko stayed with her class, who were running through the area nearest to them: the city zone.

"We should split into smaller teams," Keiko called to her classmates. "Jirou, Shoji, go to different areas and look for victims. The rest go to different zones and rescue more people. Don't hesitate to help the other schools as well."

They nodded, all stony faced and concentrated. They were all treating the test how it should be treated: a real disaster.

"I hear a shout," Midoriya said, and he went towards it, some of the class about to follow, but Keiko stopped them.

"Judging from the clarity of the shout, the civilian should be in an open area, which means Deku doesn't need that much assistance," Keiko said. "Go to another place."