{ 013 }

chapter xiii.

( hero names )

"Son of a bitch," Keiko hissed under her breath as she clutched a deep wound on her abdomen. 

How did this happen, you ask?

Well, let me tell you.

Keiko decided to use up her break to catch up with her job and as Ninja.

it was the last day of her break, and she was just walking home from work when she found a crazy villain with claws walking on the lamp-lit street, causing unnecessary havoc and panic amongst the civilians. 

She defeated the villain, but he had cut her.

It seems there's a kind of substance on his claw that slows down the healing process by a lot. And by a lot, I mean that the wound stopped healing completely.

She decided to press her hands onto the cut, staining them red.

She had hidden in an alley, her brand-new Ninja mask still on her face as she desperately tried to stop herself from bleeding out.

She had never had this experience. Her wounds would always heal, even if it did hurt a lot.

But the fear of bleeding to death? That's a new one.

At that same moment, our favorite insomniac, Hitoshi Shinso had conveniently just exited a café he normally goes to at night.

He passed the alley, looking into it, then continuing on his merry way.

Wait... what? Shinso doubled back, his eyes widening at the gruesome sight.

Keiko herself was too busy to notice the new arrival.

"What the..." 

Keiko's head snapped up, the bright neon X's for eyes boring into his.

Shinso gulped, unnerved from the intimidating gaze of the well-known vigilante.

He admired Ninja. He liked the way he saved everyone without a care in the world, keeping anonymous and disappearing when the cops, heroes, and paparazzi came.

But he never expected that his first encounter with him would be when he was hovering between the line of life and death.

"Kid..." Ninja's robotic voice broke Shinso's train of thoughts. "Please... leave."

Shinso blinked, coming to his senses and shaking his head a little. "No... you need help. I can help you."

"This isn't the time to be a hero, kid."

"But I am!" Shinso said, snapping his eyes shut and balling his fists. "I am a hero, a hero in training. I have to do this." He opened his eyes again. "Just — Just tell me what to do."

Keiko had a cut on her head as well, but in order to have better access, she's going to have to remove the mask.

She grit her teeth, feeling lightheaded. The blood loss was getting to her.

There was no choice. She just had to hope and pray that Shinso could keep secrets.

"Fine," Keiko pushed out. "Is — Is there any place we can go to?"