{ 016 }

chapter xvi.

( the aftermath and the truth  )

In a hospital room in Hosu General Hospital, Keiko's eyes snapped open as she sat up abruptly, panting.

It's just a dream, it's just a dream, get your shit together.

She's been having the same nightmare for a while; her family laying dead before her, with their blood staining her hands.

It was a silly dream, but Keiko couldn't help but freak out about it when she wakes up.

Speaking of waking up, she barely remembered what had happened the night before after she collapsed. She must have regained consciousness some time ago, but sleep took over her.

Knowing that staying in a suffocating room won't help her, she decided to take a walk.

I need fresh air...

Keiko swung her legs over her bed and letting her feet rest on the floor, shuddering a little when she felt that the ground was cold.

Just like in the sports festival, she ignored the blue slippers on the floor and walked barefoot, hugging herself as she quietly stepped out of the room, trying to keep warm in the dark and eerily silent corridor.

It was a little creepy at first, but she simply barreled towards the light source at the end of the hallway, taking a deep breath as the cold evening wind kissed her skin as she leaned on the metal railing of the balcony.

She was on the second story of the building, which gave her a view of the city. It seemed that there were a lot more lights open at this time than usual.

They might still be cleaning up the city after the Nomu attack.

Keiko inhaled sharply, raking her fingers through her hair.

Of course, she went into her landscape of thoughts.

She drifted back to the fight against Stain. Now that she thought about it, what her classmates did was very stupid, since they went against a high-ranking villain when they had only a little experience. She's got more years of villain fights under her belt than them, but that didn't make the fight any easier.

Any one of them could've died at that fight. It was almost luck that they made it out alive.

Keiko then thought about herself. It was obvious that Todoroki, Iida, and Midoriya were aware of the truth. She couldn't really convince them that it wasn't her when she put a lot of her techniques into the battle.

I really suck at keeping secrets, don't I?

She couldn't believe how many people already knew of her true identity in the span of, what, three weeks? A month?

Even so, she didn't regret choosing to attend UA. It changed her in many ways, including her goal.

"Kobayashi."

Keiko turned, only to find Todoroki standing a few feet away from her, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Did I wake you up?" Keiko asked softly, smiling internally at the soft expression on the usually stoic boy.

Todoroki shook his head. "I was already awake when you stood."

"Oh."

The girl turned back to look at the city in front of her, basking in the midnight breeze.