{ 039 }

chapter xxxix.

( just another day )

Keiko decided to take a break from the training, brainstorming, and heroing in general. Today was her rest day.

Well, except for classes of course.

She was well aware that her classmates were trying to approach her again, and she felt kinda bad that she cut off contact from most of them, save for the occasional awkward small talk and groupworks. But because her focus was now more on monitoring the currently inactive League of Villains, her grades started to slip, along with her concentration in class. Sleep also evaded her on most nights, which led to her mindlessly hitting a punching bag to try and tire herself out, but that didn't work. In fact, it just made her even more restless.

But hey, when you can't sleep in the comfort of your bed, try sleeping during class with all the conversations and chaos happening. It helps.

(Kidding, don't sleep in class guys‐)

"Should we wake her up?" Ochaco whispered to Midoriya and Iida as they glanced at the sleeping girl at the back of the classroom. She was leaning forward on her table, her arms cushioning her forehead and her black hair falling like curtains dangling over the table and keeping her sleeping face from other people's stares and judgement.

"I think we should, History's gonna start soon," Midoriya said, albeit a little reluctantly.

"She shouldn't be sleeping in class," Iida said, swinging his arm. "It's disrespectful to the teacher when they see a sleeping student in a class that they prepared for."

Then Ochaco asked the real question: "So... who's gonna wake her up?"

They remembered the last time someone tried waking her up; during the Sports Festival, before one of her matches, Jirou was the brave person who volunteered to wake her up with her earphone jack. If it was an actual person waking her up, they would've been hit right in the diaphragm and suffer breathing problems for a good three minutes.

But since none of the people in the trio had quirks that would be safe to use to wake Keiko up, they had no choice but to choose the (un)lucky one to wake her up.

"Midoriya-kun, you can do it," Iida said, actually looking a little nervous. "You're one of her closest friends, so she is least likely to get mad at you."

A — Ah, fine..." Midoriya sighed. If he was asked to do this almost four months ago, he would've tried to decline it to the best of his abilities. But now he was braver.

At least, he hoped he was braver.

With a deep breath and a quick prayer for his safety, he approached the sleeping girl, hesitating for a quick moment before tapping the girl gently on the shoulder.

"Keiko, it's Izuku," he whispered. "It's time to wake up."

The response was almost immediate.

The next thing Midoriya knew, his hand was grabbed and he was pushed onto the table, his chest pressing on the smooth surface and his arm twisted behind him, making his face contort in pain.

"Keiko-san, please release Midoriya-kun!" Iida said, speedwalking towards the two to try and de-escalate the situation. The ruckus caught the attention of most of the chattering students in the room, and they almost immediately understood what had happened. After all, they all saw that Keiko was quietly dozing a few minutes ago.

Keiko snapped out of her trance, immediately releasing Midoriya as she blinked away the drowsiness that momentarily overtook her. "Holy shit, are you okay? I'm so sorry, I'm still not used to being woken up by other people."