{ 031 }

chapter xxxi.

( the truth )

Ah, once again, we find our protagonist resting quite peacefully on a hospital bed, once again alone in the room with only the steady beeping of the monitor beside her filling the silence.

On the side table, there was a clock showing that it was 4:23 in the morning. Beside it laid the broken pieces of her mask and her chain.

The outside world was different compared to what was happening inside her mind, more specifically her mindscape.

She knew before she had even opened her eyes that Astran brought her into her mindscape.

Fresh air penetrated her nostrils and flooded her lungs as she took a deep breath in. When her eyelids lifted, the light overwhelmed her eyes for a few seconds before she was able to see the surprisingly clean and well-kept field in front of her.

"Looks like I didn't lose control of my emotions this time," Keiko muttered. Though she felt a twinge of pride in her chest, she couldn't bring herself to smile.

She simply climbed up the hill behind her and found Astran with his legs crossed on the ground at the top of the hill, staring up at the sky with a solemn expression.

He simply wore a plain white t-shirt and jeans, this time without the leather jacket.

Keiko didn't bother announcing her arrival, simply dropping to the ground beside Astran and staring straight ahead to the horizon.

It was after a few more seconds of silence between the two did the god finally speak.

"I will tell you the truth now," he said, still not taking his gaze away from the clouds. "The whole truth, as much as I can give you. I would prefer it if you lessened interruptions."

Keiko simply sighed, knowing full well that she wouldn't stay silent either way. "Whatever. Just start talking."

"To be honest, there is not much left to say other than what All for One had already said.

"What I said of me giving Orion his powers is untrue. He had been born with the gift of manipulating energy, and I simply guided him, being the god of energy and light and all.

"He was not aware of the true reasons behind my stay with him, for he knew not to push. It was only in his dying moments did I confide to him the truth.

"I told him of his descendant's fate, your fate, and he made me promise to keep you safe from the gods at all costs."

"Just promise me, old friend... promise me that Keiko does not suffer the wrath of the gods and of the unknown. Keep her away from rage and insanity, even if it costs your life. Do you understand?"

"Yes, my friend. I understand."

Keiko couldn't help but ask, "Are you really bound to his bloodline, to my bloodline, or was that another one of your lies?"

Astran closed his eyes. "It was... indeed one of my lies. In truth, I could leave your bloodline any time I wish."

"But what was stopping you? Surely a promise with a mere mortal won't be the only thing stopping you."