{ 019 }

chapter xix.

I'm changing the hero costume, since I don't really like the other one now ^-^
just imagine the support items around her wrist

art is by Epic-Soldier on deviantart

( late night encounters )

Later that day, Keiko had finished her shift. It was almost the dead of night when Keiko had stepped out of the convenience store she worked at, stretching and yawning as she waved goodbye to her other coworkers.

Coming home in the middle of the night had become normal ever since Keiko started a job, but that didn't stop her mother from worrying about her all the time.

Honestly, she earned a lot of money as an artist, and she just got this job to have an excuse for staying out late at night. It would be easier to explain to Suki than telling her that she fought crime during her shift.

As usual, the streets were nearly empty, with a few cars occasionally zooming past and some adults who had also possibly just ended their own shifts for their job.

Passing through this area, it was normal to hear the occasional sound of struggling and beating, since this was the ideal time to commit petty crimes. This was one of the perks of working late; Keiko could still stop the thieves and assault committers.

This time, however, her experience with criminals was a little different.

Humming under her breath, Keiko kept her eyes peeled and her hearing sharp, despite the exhaustion that was gnawing at her. 

Besides, if she didn't do that, then she wouldn't be able to catch the cracking sound, like bones breaking, and the crisp sound of a fire.

Keiko knew that she didn't have that much time to change, so she had to stick with the weapons she had.

She pressed the charm on the bracelet she kept on, and the chains appeared out of nowhere as they wrapped around her wrist.

She quickly opened her bag and brought out her hoodie and changed her shoes to her usual black ones before she went out. She did not want to get her clothes splattered with blood anymore. The stains would take forever to wash off.

"Looks like we got a weak one," a voice sneered. Keiko ducked down as she made her way to the alley making the commotion.

"This'll be a good way to pass time," a high voice sighed, but laughed maniacally afterwards.

Another voice scoffed. This one sounded deeper and younger than the other speakers. "You're the weak ones. Can't even see that you're going to lose against me."

The sound of a blade being unsheathed echoed through the place. 

Slash.

The sound of blood splattering.

Keiko huffed, disappointed in herself that she didn't make an effort to step in. How come I didn't move earlier?

She stepped out of her hiding spot and tried to enter the alleyway, until it was engulfed in beautiful blue flames. Keiko stepped back so she wouldn't have her hair burnt off.

The heat was surprising; it singed the ends of the hair she had over her forehead a little, but all in all, she wasn't that harmed.

Do you need assistance?

Astran, I'm fine. I can do this alone.

she cautiously stepped into the alleyway, turning her chain back into a bracelet and raising her hands in surrender so the man wouldn't burn her face off.