Chapter One: Family Gathering

Kumiko Katori was walking her way home next to her big sister, Emiko when the bus passed them. Emiko shielded her sister as the other teens threw garbage out the bus window at them.

"Get out of here you little shits!" Emiko yelled, scaring them off.

Kumiko turned to Emiko and dusted the garbage off her sister's shoulders before smiling widely. "Thanks Emi. C'mon let's get home."

"Sure thing rat. I'll race ya!" Pushing her sister behind her, Emiko ran ahead.

"Cheater!"

At this stage in her life, Kumiko was known far and wide as a prodigy for her fire dancing, often recruited for festivals and such. And even though it didn't bring in abundances of money, it was enough to live comfortably.

Still though, for both her ability and being adopted along with Emiko, other students picked on her all the time.

But Emiko often took the brunt of the damage, just as she did now. Luckily they had just moved towns and school wouldn't start for awhile.

Kumiko burst through the door right after Emiko, roughhousing her sister. She spotted her adopted mother, Hotaru, cooking stew for dinner.

"Hello girls. What have I said about that play fighting you two do?"

"That be careful not to knock anything over?"

She heard her adoptive father, Katashi, behind her. "And make sure you win!" She felt him give both the sisters noogie, messing their hair up.

"Oh Katashi. Let the girls wash up for supper and would you be able to check the mail for me?"

"Sure thing hon." Katashi leaned over to give a kiss on Hotaru's cheek before exiting.

"Go on girls. Get changed and wash up."

"Yes ma." The two echoed each other before walking to their room.

Kumiko changed out of her day clothes and into comfortable sweats and a long tee before going into the bathroom. She used the lemon scented soap to wash her hands and dried them before pulling her hair back and out of her face.

Turning around, she bumped into her sister who ruffled Kumiko's hair as she walked by.

Hearing her father yell for her, she left Emiko to wash up as she went to see what was the matter.

"Hey pa. I heard my name, is everything okay?"

"It's not everyday that my little one gets a letter in the mail. I'd hate to violate your privacy, so pretty please read it for your elderly father?" Fluttering his eyelashes at her dramatically, he passed her the envelope.

Rolling her eyes, Kumiko ripped the envelope open and unfolded the letter.

Hello Missus Kumiko Katori,

We at the China location of the Success Granted High School, offer this letter to hopefully have you come to our school and have a chance to graduate with us.

After all, we grant success as graduation is key!

Kumiko finished reading the letter out loud to look at her parent's expression. Her mother looked sad but proud and her father seemed shocked and happy.

"Hope's Peak Academy? That is a very hard to get into school, Kumi. Well done." Hotaru praised.

"Hard to get into? You have a better chance of getting into space than that school! This is an amazing opportunity!" Her father exclaimed.

But amongst the excitement, another voice rang out.

"What's going on? I can hear yelling all the way down the hall." Emiko entered the dining room.

"Your sister has been recognized for her fire dancing and offered a spot at Success Granted High School." Hotaru explained to the older sister.

But instead of having a proud or even happy expression on her face, the other family members watched Emiko's face fall.

"O-oh. That's... that's awesome. Uh, I'm not very hungry so I'm just gonna go to my room..." Emiko excused herself, making Kumiko worried.

"Emi-" Hotaru tried to talk but Emiko was already gone.

"Its ok, ma. I'll talk to her."

Kumiko walked to their adjourned rooms and sat down on the bed next to Emiko.

"So what was the response all about?" Kumiko wanted to know.

"Hmm. Oh it's nothing, I'm happy for you."

"Try again with an explanation I actually believe."

Chuckling, Emiko shook her head. "You're such a brat. Fine. I don't know, it's just... we've always been together, in an environment where I can protect you. And... suddenly we're not."

"I'm sorry Emi... I just think this would be a great opportunity for me to further my education and even make some friends. I love you but I'd like to know more people."

Kumiko and Emiko stared at each other for a few moments before Emiko shook her head and heaved a sigh.

"Welp, ain't anything I can do about it. Might as well enjoy our last night together for awhile before they ship you off."

Kumiko laughed before standing with her sister to eat together.

The four Katori members laughed and joked around, watching movies and playing board games before heading off to their own rooms.

Kumiko dragged out two bags to pack before going to bed. "Hey old lady, wanna help me pack?"

Emiko raised an eyebrow. "Who you calling old, child?"

Giggling Kumiko waited for her sister to join her. One bag would contain her clothing, hair styling items, deodorant and razors along with her menstrual items. The other bag had her traditional fire dancing uniform, her fire pole and her favorite jewelry, passed onto her from her mother.

Turning, Kumiko smiled at her sister and yawned. "Alright everything seems packed and ready."

"Good cause it's way past your bedtime apparently."

"Shush. Good night Emi."

"Heh. Good night Kumi."