Chapter Twenty Three: On the Edge

Kumiko bolted out of her dorm, clutching her mouth, as tears leaked from her eyes.

This is... this sick...

"Kumiko!"

Spinning around, she saw a pale and distraught Hiroko running to her.

"Hiroko? Did you get one too?!"

"Yeah I... I got my dad's watch, it, it had his blood covering it."

"This is so messed up... I got my sister's finger, with her class ring on it."

"Holy shit. We, we gotta find the others!"

The two girls ran full sprint to the Gymnasium, both echoing the other's footsteps. Kumiko had anxiety and fear spiraling in her mind, but Hiroko seemed to be clouded with anger and protectiveness.

The two reached the doors and busted into the room. As just as they were, everyone looked devastated. Kaori had tears rolling down his face, Aiyanna was shaking and biting her nails. Even Kenta was visibly disturbed, in a state of shock and red faced.

"Wh, what happened?!" Akiko wailed in confusion, demanding answers.

"This... is the work of Shockbolt, I'm sure of it." Kei snarled, tears prickling her eyes.

"W, why do you say that?!" Maiko snapped.

"Me and Kumiko went to call our family earlier, but were unsuccessful as a horde of Shockbolt dismantled the phone. And directly after, this happens, so I can't imagine this to be a coincidence."

"So where is the fucking bastard?! HEY SHIT DICKS, SHOW YOURSELF!" Jiro screamed, rage filling his voice.

"Right here buckaroo! Did everyone enjoy their presents hmm?"

"What the hell does this mean? What happened to them!!" Misaki yelled, sobbing.

"What it means, rejects, is another motive has been presented! Whatever could have happened to your loved ones! And since you can't call to check up on them, the only way to find out..."

"Is to kill. Is that what you're trying to say?" Akiko said, gritting her teeth.

"Bullseye bitches!"

A sense of dread washed over them, like a heavy blanket. Kumiko was terrified at the thought of her family being hurt, any of them. But what about Kenta or Kaori... even Misaki was trembling under the pressure.

What happened to their loved ones?

Are they dead?

Injured?

Or are they perfectly fine, waiting at home, watching this whole sham?

The doubt and paranoia was circling everyone's heads, making it hard to think.

Some more than others...

"Listen everyone. This monstrosity is trying to confuse us. We need to rest for the night, as difficult as it will be, and reconvene tomorrow to form a plan, an idea." Kei reasoned with the other students.

"A... di...e..." Kaori tried speaking, still sitting on the floor. He was stone still, staring at the same spot on the wall. And even with being so still, tears rolled down his face, unrecognized by the owner.

"C, c'mon big guy. Let's get you to bed okay?" Ryozo tried gently to raise the baker to his feet but was unable to move the wall of muscle known as Kaori.

"Maybe leave him for now? He may be in little space right now and can't really comprehend it?" Gin suggested.

"Yeah... sure." Ryozo seemed unsettled but went along with it, seeing as it was near impossible to force Kaori to get up.

"As for everyone else, let's all try and get some rest... it's almost midnight now and we need to get some sleep before thinking of anything."

After some grumbling and light arguments, everyone seemed to be in agreement. Kumiko, still in shock, made her way to the dorm she stayed in. But before she did, she turned around, intent on going to the Astronomy Room.

I... just wanna look at the stars... That's all.

Making her way there, she noticed the blood spilled by the two boys were gone and a pleasant smell filled the air now. Like honey.

I guess Shockbolt cleaned it up in case another kill happens here.

Better not to think about that now.

She smoothed her dress out, to be unbothered with any wrinkles. Kneeling she looked out through the telescope, spotting certain constellations she and Emiko often watched together.

Maybe she and I are seeing the same stars? Just in different locations I guess.

"Whatcha doing here Spitfire?"

Turning her head, Kumiko spotted the tattoo artist, Ryozo, walking towards her. He had a blanket slung over his shoulder and had some pillows in hand.

"O, oh hi Ryozo. I'm just watching the stars for a bit. What are you doing here?"

"I thought I saw the light on, so I came to check it out."

"And the pillows and blanket?" She smiled, tilting her head curiously.

"Eh I thought they'd come in handy. Don't judge me, woman!" He stuck his tongue out at her.

"Hehe yeah okay, Ry-ry."

"Don't you call me that horrid name woman. I swear to God, I'll tattoo a dick on you in your sleep."

"Rude." Giggling madly, she only shrieked when he tackled her, tickling her weak spots.

"YOU LAUGHING AT ME? HUH?!"

"S, s, stop!!! Enough!!"

"What the fuck is going on here!"

They both looked up to seeMaiko and Jiro beside them at the doorway. Jiro had a heavy wrench in his hand and Maiko wielded... a wooden chair?

"The fuck? You two shagging or something?" Maiko groaned in annoyance, setting the chair down.

"Eww yall nastyyyyy." Jiro complained.

"What, no! H, he was tickling me." Kumiko explained, face pink.

"All I know is it's late at night, he's on top of you and you were screaming." Maiko smirked.

"M, Maiko!" Kumiko was beet red now at her insinuation.

"Welp. Guess you and me are the pg 13 rating in this scenario, Maiko. You up for overseeing these two?"

"Yeah whatever. Hand me a pillow and blanket from the closet at least. I'll take the chair."

While Jiro opened the cabinet, Kumiko raised an eyebrow. "How do you know there's pillows and blankets in there Maiko?"

Smirking, she responded. "A lady never kisses and tells. Or does more and tell."

"Aaaaaand that's when I go to sleep. Night guys." Ryozo glared at the lewd hat maker before grabbing Kumiko, making her yelp.

"Hey!"

"Shush. I need snuggles."

"Pardon? Lemme get in on this."

"JIRO GET YOUR DICK AWAY FROM MY ASS!"

"I WANNA BE THE BIG SPOON!"

"Jesus fucking, this is why I'm gay." With those final words, everyone finally fell asleep... preparing for a new day.