Chapter Thirteen: Ascending

Stretching, Kumiko groaned at the sound of the morning announcement. She quickly got dressed for the day, grabbed her medication and put her hair up.

She grabbed her keycard and swiped it, opening the door. After hearing it lock, she went off to the cafeteria, hoping to find the others.

Walking, she bumped into a strong body. Looking up, she saw Jiro smiling lazily at her. "Hey shortstack. You on your way to the cafeteria too?"

Blushing at her own clumsiness, she nodded. "Yeah I'm on my way there to get food for my meds. Wanna join me?"

Jiro nodded. "Sure, I don't mind."

The two walked together, talking about several things until a third person joined them.

"Oh hey guys!" Gin popped up between them, throwing his arms around the two.

"Heya Gin. We're on our way to the cafeteria." Kumiko smiled at the happy scuba diver.

"Oh sweet, I'll see you guys there! I hear Akiko is cooking breakfast today!"

He ran ahead, making Kumiko chuckle. When she looked over to Jiro, ready to speak, she stopped. He was watching Gin with smile.

He must have noticed her staring cause he sighed. "Don't say a word, you little fangirl."

Kumiko laughed loudly and started to sing. "Jiro and Gin, sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-"

"I swear to god, YOU are the next body. GET OVER HERE!"

Kumiko squealed, getting a head start on Jiro, trying to grab her. Quickly she made her way to the cafeteria, Jiro hot on her trail.

Seeing the lean skydiver, Benny, talking to Akiko, Kumiko ducked behind him.

"Uh hi?" Benny seemed confused.

"Jiro is gonna catch me! Save me!" Kumiko asked dramatically.

"Too late shortstack."

Squealing, Kumiko laughed as Jiro grabbed the fire dancer. Kumiko pouted as he gave her a noogie before sitting down.

For a moment everyone seemed lighthearted and giggly, especially after the night before...

Then the doors opened.

Kei seemed to have her entered, her arm linked with Minato, who, for lack of words, looked awful. He had his hair messed up and dark circles surrounding his eyes.

"Hey Minato! Wazzup!" Misaki yelled loudly. Trying to get him to at least smile, as the two usually got along well.

Minato gave a clear fake half grin before sitting. "Hey Saki. I'm okay, how are you?"

"I'm alright, are you okay after... yesterday?" She treaded the topic very carefully, seeing how he wasn't his normal self.

"I'm fine. Heya Aiyanna, you look nice today." He tried to fall back into the way he was before but no one was buying it.

Still, Aiyanna played along. "Gross Minato. Gross."

"Ahem."

Everyone's attention went to Kei, who had commanded the room's attention once again.

"After we eat, I'd like to investigate the school again. More than likely, the next floor has opened up, so more information could be gained."

"Will we be in groups again?" Benny asked.

"Yes we will. I have some groups selected if no one objects?"

"Uck. What barbarians are we paired with, this time!" Maiko said, disgusted as she looked around.