Chapter Twelve: Consequences

Kumiko and the others ran to the door they all came from originally, each step blaring in their ears. The door was open oddly enough, but they didn't give it a second thought.

Jiro threw the door open and they stepped outside, gasping in horror.

Everyone's loved ones were there. Kenta's brothers, Kumiko's family, Hiroko's parents...

But they were unreachable from the giant barbed wire fence that separated them.

"What even is this?!" Maiko screamed.

"This, Ms. Miya, is my paradise! Welcome one and all to Hope's Peak Academy!"

Kumiko's eyes suddenly locked on a familiar girl...

Emiko.

Both girls ran at the same time trying to reach the other through the fence. But just as they were about to meet..

The fence lit up, becoming electrified. The force of it sent both Katori siblings flying, Emiko landing on her back and Kumiko was launched into the brick wall before falling to her hands and knees.

Ugh. That smarted...

Her ears rang as she tried getting up. She could feel where the bricks scratched her, stinging.

"-miko, you okay?!" She looked up to see a frightened Akiko, staring at her.

"Yeah... I'm good. Injured but good."

"Wow that sure looked painful! I don't think you'll be trying that again though! No one is allowed in or out or they can just have another ZAPPY ZAP!"

Sis...

A woman came forward with beautiful orangey red hair, looking around for something, or rather someone. "Where's Yui?! Where's my successor?!"

A mother and father stood next to the lady. "Where's my baby Suke?! Daisuke, where are you?!" The mother yelled.

"Ah yes how rude of me! Thanks for letting me borrow these, but you can have them back now! I don't want your damaged property!"

Without any warning, they screamed as two bodies fell from the sky. Daisuke's unmoving body and Yui's distorted and doll like one lay completely still.

"No not my baby Suke... Minato, Where's Minato?!" The mother held her oldest son close as she looked for his twin.

"I'm here Ma!" He yelled back, tears streaming.

They watched his dad gritt his teeth and yell, "What right do you have, taking our kids?!"

"Leave our little ones alone!" The red haired lady cradled her daughter's corpse, lovingly holding her close.

"Don't you all get it?! These brats are no longer yours... now they're mine to fuck with and fuck up!"

"Deal with it!"

With that, everyone let out an enraged scream and charged forward. They attacked the fence with crowbars, wrenches, bats... but nothing worked.

"Kumiko!" She looked to see her family running to her. Regaining her stance, she ran too.

"Ma, Pa, sis!" She yelled back.

"Oh my god, Kumiko! Are, are you alright?" Emiko demanded to know.

"I'm fine..." Kumiko had sobs wreaking havoc on her body.

"Sweetheart... it'll be okay... you are strong." Hotaru whispered.

"I'm not though Ma. I'm weak and I can't DO anything." Kumiko choked on her words.

"Listen here pumpkin. You may not be strong physically like the boxer but you're my daughter, god dammit! You can do this. And we'll be trying our damndest to get you out, but you've gotta fight too." Katashi said, the most serious she had ever seen her adopted father be.

"Pa..."

"C'mon sis. Survive. You better keep fighting for me and I'll keep fighting for you!"

Kumiko could only nod as she wiped her face, painting a smile on for her family.

"I'll keep fighting guys. I'll keep fighting."

Those words brought a relieved smile to her family's face and they nodded in response.

"Its getting late and you still need to eat." Emiko said. "You should go inside and... we'll talk later little sis."

"Okay. I love you guys."

Sniffling, Hotaru answered. "We love you too honey."

Kumiko watched as her sister and adopted parents walk away. Her parents went inside of the car but her sister sent one last glance to her before getting in as well.

Raising her hand into a wave, after they drove off, she let it fall. Remembering Daisuke's kindness and Yui's charm... she gritted her teeth and fell into a squat.

I don't have any idea on what I'm doing...

"YOU HOO!"

"AH!" Kumiko fell over from shock at the yell. When she looked over, Misaki was there, looking worried.

"You good? Sorry didn't mean to scare ya, you just didn't respond when I was talking to you so I had to yell."

"Huh? Oh, yeah I'm all good. What's up?" Kumiko accepted Misaki's hand helping her up.

"Oh well Akiko and Benny are making food if you're hungry." Misaki gave a toothy grin.

Just as Kumiko was about to respond, her stomach growled, reminding her she never ate today, making her blush.

Giggling, Misaki said, "Welp, I guess there's your answer." She linked her arm with Kumiko's and the two walked down to the cafeteria.

Opening the door, Misaki yelled, "PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR! MISAKI AND KUMI!"

"Oh god. Hi guys, please sit, the food is almost done." Aiyanna asked politely.

"Okily dokily!"

The two sat down, Kumiko sitting between Hiroko and Gin, across from Ryozo. She looked up to see him smiling at her with a familiar half smile.

You okay? His eyes seemed to ask.

She gave a nod and the two relaxed, surrounded by friends. Soon enough Akiko and Benny came out with dishes for everyone, setting them down on the way.

Kumiko got a spicy barbecue chicken wrap and her mouth watered at it. Grabbing a jug of milk, she poured herself a glass and dug into her food.

After everyone had eaten, they slowly began to disperse. Kumiko made her way to her room, but on the way...

She saw Minato.

"Hey Minato. You okay?" She asked him as he really looked worse for wear.

"What? Oh hey Kumiko. Yeah I just need this day to be over with."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure girlie. What's up?"

"I know you were pissed and determined to find Daisuke's killer but then why did you try and save her?"

Minato's face was a pale canvas until he forced a smirk. "Hey anything for the ladies, y'know?"

"Minato." Her voice indicated she didn't believe his bs.

"Sigh. Fine. The truth is she caught my eye. It's stupid but I mainly was a prick to get her attention. Heh, guess that doesn't matter now."

The two were silent until Kumiko gave Minato a hug, whispering. "I'm so sorry Minato. No one here deserved that."

He hugged back tightly for a moment before stepping back. "Anyways, I'm... I'm gonna head to bed. Good night Kumiko."

"Night Minato."

After he went into his room, she went into hers... preparing herself for another stormy day and even worse night here at the school.