FORTY-SIX

46 | CHAOS ARISING

46 | CHAOS ARISING

    Harry could not sleep that night. No, he tossed and turned, and the few hours he was able to catch was time plagued with horrible nightmares. The pirate normally experienced nightmares (a punishment from the Isle) but they had never been this bad. Not so bad that he was jumping awake, his breathing harsh and waking Uma from her own sleep.

Not so bad that Uma literally had to get into bed with him and stroke his head until he was pulled back into another short nap. And most definitely had he never been plagued with nightmares of Winter being terrorized and killed in the most horrible of ways.

No, this had never happened before. But then again, neither did a damn demon possession.

Earlier, Harry had been in an extremely splendid mood. Both of the Auradon Swords and Shields teams won, and not only did they win, but they set record-high scores. It was the strongest start to a season that Auradon Prep had ever been blessed with, and it was all thanks to the newest VKs on the teams.

However, that mood was immediately dampened when Mal pulled him, Uma, Jay, Lonnie, and Gil away. She claimed that Jonah had something important to tell them. When they all met at the stairway leading into Morton Hall, it was a no-brainer that this had something to do with Winter. Admittedly, they all thought she had simply overworked herself and was holed up in her room once again.

Harry had been excited to drag her (even if she was kicking and screaming and he had to haul her over his shoulder) and take her out to a celebratory dinner in downtown Auradon. That is where the majority of the team and other students had fled anyway.

Alas, this was not the case.

No, the real issue was much much worse.

Harry had no words when they were taken to the third level—but they all felt the chilling evil. It made Mal, in particular, more on edge than ever. This was the type of evil that reminded her of her mother, but at least her mother's evilness had never been directed at her.

When they were led to Winter's room, it got even worse. Evie had cried out, Mal gasped and placed a hand on her stomach, Carlos and Jay gaped, Ben looked about ready to pass out, Uma stood shock-silent, and everyone else was simply a mess. Harry was staring, his heart dropping and breathing picking up.

The story that came next shocked them all to no end. Harry Hook just about killed Freddie Facilier on the spot, he had pulled his hook out and was a hair away from stabbing it right through her neck. Begone FG's anger management lessons and hello Psycho Hook. He had never liked that chick anyway.

It was Jay, Jonah, and Gil who had to hold him back, and Carlos was forced to stand in between them all. Harry had only been seeing red, cursing Freddie and her entire family. Freddie had screamed back trying to explain herself, but it only made Harry angrier and fight harder.