FIVE

05 | True Love's Tale

   EVERYONE was going crazy about the cotillion coming that night. The only one not quite so excited was Winter, of course, who sat in her dorm reading. They had got back to the school a few hours ago, Winter wasting no time in forcing herself back to her loner personality.

As nice as it had been to feel included, to be with friends, she knew better. It was simply Murphy's Law. The second she got even the slightest bit content, a curveball or obstacle would be thrown at her.

And honestly, Winter really did not feel like dealing with that.

She lay on her bed pondering the short trip that put things into perspective for her. She would be the first to admit that while she had been curious about the Isle at times, there had never ever been a time that she actually wanted to visit.

Even now, after seeing it, it only made Winter feel bad about the ones who were not villains trapped there. It was like no kingdom in Auradon that she had ever seen, even the few cities scattered about Auradon were not that bad.

As bad as she felt, she had no want to ever go back to that place. Well, she almost didn't.

She still smelt the scent of sea salt wafting from him, felt his warm breath in her ear, saw the amazing blue of his eyes, and the killer smirk that no doubt had many going crazy. The roughness of his hands, the lilt in his accented voice, the feeling she got when he spoke to her.

No, not spoke, flirted. Harry Hook flirted with her hardcore, only an idiot would be unable to see that. While Winter may have never been on the receiving end of being flirted at before Harry, she knew enough to recognize flirting anywhere.

She had to, seeing as it was a past time of hers to make bets with herself as to who would become the next couple of Auradon Prep. She often made bets as to who would be the ones to break up, to get married, and who actually had what people liked to call true love.

Just yesterday, she was unsure what true love actually meant. Sure, she loved her parents, her cousins, her auntie, and uncle, but she had never been in love with anyone. She did not doubt the existence of it, she just believed it was not as common as the people in Auradon liked to say.

Ben and Mal had true love, she was sure of that. Then there was Evie and Doug who definitely had it. Her parents, of course, had it. Her auntie and uncle.

But then again, those were all special cases. Audrey and Chad Charming, for example, while they certainly made a good couple, they did not have true love. The only true love those two could have is with themselves.

Winter would never even come close to saying she loved Harry Hook, she literally did not even tell him her name, but she definitely felt something for him. A pull, or a tug, something that made her feel like she was bound to the stupid (but hot) Isle pirate.