TWENTY-THREE

23 | PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS 202

  WINTER stayed in her room for the next several hours, wrapped in her blankets and reading. Her frost magic did not get better until the evening when it finally began calming down. Almost as though the storm inside was dying.

It was dinner and Winter was hungry but decided she would not be going to get dinner tonight. Perhaps she would go to a vending machine later if she felt like it, but as of now, she could not bring herself to get up and leave. Not only that, but her hair had gotten worse colorwise, it now looked like she had white highlights.

She felt as though trying to suck in her powers and hold it would make it worse, especially when it was just starting to calm down. Winter was not sure how long dinner had been going on but her phone suddenly began buzzing and lighting up.

Winter was wrapped like a burrito in her blankets, the girl struggling to pull her arm free to grab her phone. She had been watching some rom-com that put a smile on her face and distracted her from the mini snow-storm happening in her dorm room.

She squinted her eyes at five different texts.

Evie:
Where are you??

Evie:
You better not be skipping dinner again!

Evie:
Winnie, I swear to god!

Mal:
You cannot seriously be skipping another meal

Evie:
I am about to stick Harry to come to get you, he's already offered to get you, Uma's the only thing holding him back rn

Winter groaned from her place in bed, seeing the newest text. She debated on what to tell Evie to get her off her back—the last thing she needed was Harry showing up now. Winter sighed as her phone flashed, but this time instead of a text, her ringtone rang as Evie's name popped up on caller I.D.

Answering the call, Winter breathed out hearing the sound of the lively dining hall in the background.

"Hello?" Winter timidly asked.

"Winnie, why aren't you here?" Evie immediately demanded.

"Evie put it on speaker!" She heard Mal shout before a certain Scottish accent came through the call as well.

"Yeah, put 'er on speaker!"

"There she's on speaker, you guys happy?"

"Hi, Winter!" Winter smiled as Gil's voice flowed through the call.

"Why are you not at dinner, I told you skipping so many meals is not healthy!" Evie scolded causing Winter to sigh.

"Duckling," Winter shrunk even more at Harry's voice, "I swear teh god if ya don't get tha' pretty little ass over here and next to me, then I be coming to yer room, throwing ya over me shoulder, bringing ya here, and forcing ye to eat..." Winter was glad no one could see just how very pink her face was.