SIXTY-ONE

61 | KINGS AND QUEENS

    "QUEEN Elsa," Ben breathed a greeting with a smile as she climbed the stairs to the stage.

"Hello, King Benjamin," she said, allowing a small smile to fall over her face. "I apologize for my tardiness, the water spirit was rather restless today," she explained as Ben hurried over and guided her to her chair with a friendly hand on her shoulder.

Elsa internally smiled at her excuse. She did not dare reveal that the real reason behind her tardiness was Jack Frost's insatiable appetite — not that she was complaining.

He shivered lightly at the coldness that seeped through even her many layers but said nothing of it.

"Mother," Winter greeted warmly with a smile, standing up and preparing to leave the stage.

However, Elsa only pulled Winter into a warm (or cold) hug before releasing her and staring into her eyes with a smile. Elsa sighed at her daughter, the Queen slightly saddened that her little girl was nearly all grown up.

She still remembered the day that she brought Winterfell home to Ahtohallan for the first time. Jack had been frustrated because Elsa refused to release their child and only titered to Jack every time he attempted to steal the baby from her grasp.

"You know you need a man to have a kid too, right dove?" He had asked in an exasperated tone.

"Mmm, yes, but I believe she favors me over you," she had responded cheekily.

"Because you're the only one who holds her!"

Now staring into her daughter's brown eyes and her mature face, Elsa could not help but wonder where all the time had gone. It mattered not though, for Winterfell would always be her baby no matter how old she grew to be.

"Daughter," Elsa greeted back with a smile, savoring this moment with her daughter.

It had been a few months since the two had seen each other, after all.

"I shall go take my place with the other princes and princesses now," Winterfell said, acutely aware of the attention of the entire room on them.

She did not want to disrupt this meeting any more than she had.

"This will not be necessary," Elsa shook her head, motioning for her to keep her spot. Instead, she chose to sit in Queen Anna's designated place. "You can fill for Queen Anna, she won't be joining us today." She said nicely.

Winter nodded catching sight of the other members sitting down.

"Queen Elsa, not a meeting goes by that I am not shocked at your agelessness. Especially after all these years," it was King Eugene who said it playfully, "looks like I married the—"

"Do not even finish that joke," Rapunzel crossed her arms glaring at Eugene who cringed back.

"Ahaha, of course not — the loveliest Queen in all the lands is most definitely you!"