thirty-seven ≫ better.

I hugged him for a good ten seconds before his body stiffened. At first, I didn't think anything of it. He was still hugging me and I was still hugging him; nothing seemed wrong. But he wasn't.. he didn't feel welcoming anymore. It's like he shut me out without physically shutting me out.

I looked up and my eyebrows furrowed, "Uh.. Luke?"

He was looking dead straight behind me, I could tell by the direction of his pale blue eyes. I had no idea who was behind me, or what was behind me. Could he just be looking at the car? The back windows were tinted so the only person he could probably see was Calum... whatever it was, he didn't like it, obviously. His hold on me tightened.

"Why.. are you here?" Luke practically growled.

I thought he was talking to me, initially. I already knew that was a dumb thought, though. It couldn't be, Luke would never talk to me like that. Then, I heard someone clear their throat just behind me.

"Listen, Luke.."

Michael?

I looked back to see that Michael had made his way out of the car, and onto the sidewalk in front of the house. He looked so small, and so innocent. You probably couldn't tell from just a few months ago that Luke is bigger than Michael, but since then, Luke's grown so much more. Compared to Michael, Luke's shoulders were broader, his height was taller, and his temper was way higher.

Luke's hold on me was tight - tight to the point where I thought that if I struggled to get out of his grasp, he wouldn't let go. Of course, that wasn't the case; I shoved his chest only a small bit before he kissed my forehead and looked straight into my eyes.

"Go inside."

I stepped to the side, only a foot away from where Luke was standing. I looked to Michael, and then back to Luke's eyes. I shook my head.

"What're you going to do, Luke? Beat him up?"

Luke's fists balled up, his knuckles started to appear white. His eyes darkened. "Well-"

"No." I said firmly.

Michael was still standing about five feet away from Luke. He stood up straighter. I'd boosted his confidence.

"I'm not going to be the reason you beat up your best friend. I can't do that, Luke."

"Jas-"

"I love you. Just let it go."

His fists released and became non-violent, along with his eyes. I was thankful Luke listened to me most of the time, or else whatever he was about to do might've actually happened.

"I'm.. gonna need some time, Michael." Luke said flatly. Still, his eyes weren't as bright as when he first saw me.

Michael immediately nodded. "Whatever, dude. Take all of the time you need, I just, I'm sorry. I-"

"Just forgive him, Luke!" Calum yelled.

I giggled. Calum was definitely not afraid of Luke in any way. He and Luke seemed to have this different kind of bond, one that's distant but at the same time, can't be broken. Luke didn't say anything back to Calum, but when I looked up at him, he had a small smile on his face.

"Things are gonna get better." I mumbled to myself, looking at the floor. My hands were on my chest, crossed, but I let them fall. It was like all of the stress I previously had, fell with it.

That's when I felt a firm hand grasp mine and I looked up to Luke. I saw a look in his eyes that said a lot of things at once; one of them said - stay with me.

"Guys, you can go back home.. Luke'll drive me home later." I said, assuming. Luke smiled only a tiny bit more.

I heard Ashton sigh all the way from the car. "Alright. I hope to see you soon, Luke!"

Luke nodded at no specific person, and led me inside to the empty house.

-

The house wasn't a mess, not that I'd expected it to be. Luke was a fairly clean person. It did look like it'd been lived in though, with family portraits up of people I had never met. It made me wonder why his Uncle was gone so often, but the thought quickly left my mind. My hand was still holding Luke's as he guided me through the house. He was leading me to the living room, where there was a big couch and a TV, though it wasn't on. Instead, on top of the coffee table, there were books upon books, piled with CD's and his laptop.

"What've you been doing?" I asked, curious about all of the familiar books and music.

He let out a small laugh and shrugged. He told me about how he's been calming himself down with books and music because throughout all of the time we've been together, I've told him to listen to or read so many things and he finally got around to all of it.

I thought it was cute, trust me, but I was a little caught off guard. I thought that we were going to do those things together. I didn't mind too much, though. He seemed happy, so I couldn't help but feel the same.

"You probably wanted to listen to the music with me, didn't you?" He asked, taking a seat on the couch.

I shrugged. I loved that he knew me so well, but the way he said it made me feel bad for even feeling any sort of displeasure.

"I feel like I've been disappointing you a lot lately, with not taking the pills, always being in the institution, freaking out over this, running away.." He trailed off.

I sighed and sat down next to him. "You didn't.. you could never disappoint me, Luke. You can't just blame yourself for all of the things you said, especially not the situation that happened between Michael and I."

He started to nod, but didn't say anything back.

"But.. why did you leave?" I asked.

I'd been curious as to why he left ever since he actually did. He could've just gone home, and told me that he needed space. Why did he come here?

He didn't acknowledge my question, but instead rubbed one eye with the back of his hand. That's when I noticed that Luke looked completely, and utterly tired of everything. The more I observed and took in his appearance, the worse he seemed. He looked drained, exhausted, just plain done. He was wearing baggy clothes - sweatpants and a sweater, no shoes, no knit beanie. His hair looked like it hadn't been washed or styled in a long while, too. Worst of all, his usual pale, perfect complexion was tainted with dark purple-pink circled bags settling right under his eyes. I wanted to ask if he's slept at all in the past week, but he looked as if he was about to explain himself.

"I just.. was in shock, I guess. I'd just gotten out of hell, and you threw me another demon. I couldn't handle it.. I had to get away. I come here more often than you think, probably," he said, looking around as if he was admiring the house, "it's my other safe haven. My main one being you."

"I'm sorry I left, Jasmin. I missed you like crazy, do you know how hard it was to leave you after that perfect night? And how much sleep I lost over late nights, thinking about if you thought that was a break-up or not. It wasn't, by the way." He said.

He reached over and started playing with my fingers. Then, he proceeded to say sorry a bit too many times, and he kissed me. It felt like someone gave me a shot of energy, I hadn't felt Luke's lips since he stormed off.

"Things.. are gonna get better." I said between kisses.

//

woah! it's only been a week since i last updated (-: u know what that means! i am gonna try and upload every wednesday... yEP u heardme right

i hope u guys are enjoying this/: please comment and vote to show me okay!!

i love u and thank u for all of ur support 💗

- riss