twenty-six ≫ daydream away.

I searched Luke's face for any sign of an answer. He was concentrated on his shoe from what I could see; I could tell he was in deep thought. I didn't blame him, after all it was a big question.

The question being, could he face his stage fright and play for around four hundred people?

I tenderly ran my fingers over the top of his warm hand, tracing shapes as we all (me, Luke, Ashton, and Belle) waited for Luke to speak up.

"I.. I don't think you have to cancel." Luke said slowly.

I quickly looked up to Ashton who's face had turned from dull and concerned back to it's normal state- cheerful and gentle.

"That's great! You'll do.. great, Luke. I know you will." Ashton said.

"I'm just nervous. Like, terribly nervous. I don't know how I'm gonna pull this off, but I don't want to let you guys down.." Luke said, running his fingers through his hair.

"I'll be there." I spoke up, squeezing Luke's hand slightly.

He turned to me and smiled, the crinkles by his eyes making my lips curve upwards as well.

"That makes me feel a lot better." He chuckled.

After that, we sat in silence. Not uneasy silence, though- the silence where everyone knows what each other is thinking. To me, we were thinking something along the lines of-

This is insane. 5 Seconds of Summer could be successful- this is totally insane.

Eventually, someone had to speak up. I just had no idea it would be Annabelle.

"I want to come, too." She said, drearily.

That was the first time I'd heard her speak, and she had such a princess-y voice. (You know, soft and melodic.)

"You should!" I exclaimed, before Ashton could respond.

"It would be fun, all of the girlfriends should come. Make it an event or something." I smiled.

Everyone was smiling and nodding at my idea, except for Luke. He was still a little anxious. Even after the conversation died down, and Ashton and Annabelle walked off to be by themselves, he was still not speaking.

"Babe?" I whispered, lightly letting my hand rest on his.

He turned his face up to face me for only a split second, with a dreaded look on his face, before looking back down at the floor. I pouted at him to try and earn a laugh or maybe even a grin, but it didn't work.

"I really don't know if I can do this, Jas." He sighed.

I brought my hand up to his cheek and turned his head so he was looking me in the eye. I looked from his eyes to his lips quickly, and rubbed his cheek softly with my thumb. "You'll do great, I promise."

Then I pulled him closer, kissing him again. Not for long this time though; we had things to do.

》》》》》

We had about twenty minutes left now, so Luke and I decided to get some things done before I had to leave.

First, we wanted to try to convince the hospital to let him bring his electric guitar and amp so that he could practice. Considering he only had about two days to practice, he'll need to pack in all of preparation he can.

He grasped my hand the whole way to the front room, nervous that the staff would say no to his request. The fact that he was in a mental hospital really took a lot of liberties away from his natural life. When we finally reached the waiting room, the front lady looked at us funny. Patients weren't typically allowed this far from their rooms. I looked behind us and saw two security guards holding their hand over their tazers, ready to use them on Luke if he did anything wrong.