thirty-three ≫ savor now.

hello!! before u read pls listen to the song 'if i tremble' by front porch step bc it has something to do with this chapter thanks love u bye!!!!

//

"I'm so happy." Luke sighed.

"Why the sigh?" I asked.

"Happiness doesn't last forever." He retorted.

I took a deep breath because I knew he was right. It's a fact of life. We were both on my bed laying on our backs, looking at the ceiling of my bedroom. There was no conception of time, though it'd obviously been a while. The sunshine behind my blinds had dimmed.

"Then savor now." I said back, reaching for his hand and clutching it in mine.

I heard him chuckle and then, he sat up.

"Alright, I'll do that. Let's go out." He said, a small, confident smile on his face.

The ends of my lips curved up. "Where?"

His hand lifted up and he looked down at his wrist where his watch was. I saw the scars again- they looked pretty healed up. I think I've only talked to him once about his harming, and it made me sad to know that they were deep enough to be permanent. I hadn't thought about it much, but I haven't seen Luke wear short sleeves often. I couldn't help think that was why. Before I could react to myself, I felt my hand slowly reach up to softly grab his wrist. I brought it to my lips and kissed exactly where the scars were. I don't know where it came from, but I felt the need to do what I did.

"I love you." I mumbled on his wrist.

He smiled widely while taking his wrist away and leaned over, and kissed me on the cheek. "I love you too, let's go to the beach."

-

My mom would never let Luke and I go out alone to the beach this late, so we just told her he was taking me to get some Chinese food. The story was going to be, we'd gone to the restaurant, got the food, and then on the way back, the car broke down. Luke and I planned it out. We chose the car-breaking-down story so that we could take my mom's worn out van; Luke said I'll 'see why later'. I just shrugged it off.

I didn't notice it when we were laying down in my room, but Luke had gotten at least a foot taller than the last time I saw him. Also, his hair was styled different again. When I saw him in my room, his hair was done in a high quiff. We'd been cuddling so now it looked like how it always had when he used to be the boy who just stared at me; a blonde, small fringe down the side of his perfect face.

I stopped daydreaming and looked out the windows into the dim light of the sky; dusk was soon. We were headed to the closest beach, and Luke was driving. There was no music playing, which was a bit strange for Luke. Music was almost always playing when I was with him.

"No music?" I smiled.

He let out a small chuckle. "I knew you were going to say that.."

He kept one hand on the wheel and reached in his back pocket. I was taken aback by what he pulled out, and then giggled.

"I can't believe- you planned this, didn't you?"

He held a small, black mixtape in his hands. It was just like how you'd imagine it to look, with the blank white area where Luke had written something. He must've planned this, my mom's car was the only one I knew of with a cassette player. He was handing it to me so I took it, and smiled at the name of the mixtape.

"Luke, 2014, 'For My Girl'." I read, and I couldn't stop smiling. His handwriting was so nice, it looked rushed, and his words were smushed together, but it was so cute.