one ≫ missing.

I went through my usual morning routine, but this time I didn't have to pack much in my bag. It was the week before finals week, and I only had to bring my study guides and something to write with. I walked downstairs, endured a glare from my mom for being late, and got in the car. Today was gonna be easy, I hoped.

-

I filed into the cramped classroom after everyone else, sat my bag down on the floor, and took a seat in my assigned seat. The teacher proceeded to tell us to take out our study guides and work on them for the time being. I worked on it for a while, until the expected happened. I got bored.

I immediately looked around the room for Luke, but quickly found that his seat was empty. I almost started to become sad, but reminded myself that I didn't even know Luke all that well. Although, this was the fifth day in a row that he hasn't been here. My mind started to wander off, coming up with different explanations in my head.

He's probably transferred to another school.

Maybe he switched classes.

Could he have gotten sick?

I was thinking about this for a while, and realized that I'd become worried.

Worried? I haven't even formally met the guy.

I decided that I'll ask Josie, because she told me that her mom and Luke's mom were close. I don't know why I'm even thinking about him, because I haven't even heard him speak before. But whenever I caught him staring, I always got the feeling of little butterflies in my stomach. Sometimes I wonder if he got them too.

-

I looked around for Josie, who I was going to walk home with. I finally spotted and greeted her.

"Hey, Josie."

"Hi! I'm so tired, all I wanna do is sleep."

I laughed and agreed, and we walked in silence for a couple of seconds. Then my question dawned on me.

"Oh, you know that kid, Luke? Luke Hemmings?" I asked.

She looked at me with a worried expression.

"Yeah..why?"

"Well, he's in my first period class, and I noticed that he's been missing for a while. Do you know where he went?"

I was confused as to why I was nervous for the answer.

"I'm not supposed to tell anyone.. but I'll make an exception for you, I guess. Four days ago, my mom told me that Luke's mom told her that she put Luke in a mental institution."

My stomach flipped and my eyes widened. I felt sad and worried at the same time. I didn't even know this person, but I was already worried, sad, and missed him more than I thought I could.

"What? What's wrong with him?" I said, a little bit too eager.

"He apparently was diagnosed with clinical depression. It was pretty obvious to everyone; I've never seen him smile in my life." Josie chuckled.

"Wait, what? I've seen him smile loads of times." I retorted.

It was true. Every time I was in first period, he smiled at least ten times. And that's only when I was looking. Why wouldn't he smile out of class?

"When? I've known him almost my whole life and have never seen him smile." She questioned.

I shrugged and reluctantly went on to tell her about this past year, of our staring game. I also told her that he was cute, and that I missed him.

"Jasmin, you've never talked to him before? And you miss him?"

I nodded my head and laughed.

"So.. he only smiles when he looks at you. Weird." She muttered.

"Yeah... weird." I smiled.

I smirked at the ground. It felt weird, to know that you were someone's only source of happiness. I felt flattered at first, but then it occurred to me.

He hasn't seen me in five days.

//

poor luke ):

byebye (-: