thirty-one ≫ coming home?

All of the boys were looking curiously at their cameras, probably looking at me in particular.

"Just click the video and watch," I laughed.

I heard the audible clicks of their mouses, and one by one their faces lit up.

"Oh my god," Ashton said, smiling.

I could tell from their faces that they were enjoying the video I'd made and I was glad. It's not like I worked extra hard on it, but I did work on it, so I'd hoped that they'd like it.

"This is so cool!" Calum chuckled.

It wasn't that long of the video- only the duration of the song. Even though it was a short period of time, I was still nervous that they wouldn't like it. Until, of course, the video ended.

I got compliment after compliment from the boys, and I couldn't stop blushing. I'd expected a bit of compliments but not this many.

"Thank you guys, really, it means a lot that you like it," I grinned.

We ended up talking for a while after that, to the point where Emma had to head home. We do have school tomorrow.

With that, I told the boys I was probably going to head to bed as well. That was the end of the skype call.

But, not the end of my night.

Luke: you made that? that was incredible. thanks, babe.

I smiled down at the new text from Luke and replied.

Me: yep, all me. i had fun while making it (-:

We ended up talking about pointless, cute stuff for the rest of the night, which was fun usually, but not when I had the looming guiltiness of kissing his best friend. I couldn't hold it much longer, that was for sure. I couldn't bring myself to tell him over text, and even then, couldn't bring myself to tell him while he was in a mental hospital.

Me: when do you think you're.. yunno.. getting out of the hospital?

His reply took longer than I wanted, but eventually I got a reply.

Luke: ..soon. the family problems, the ones that were bugging me.. it was my mom. she realized i never took my depression pills and is sort of angry with me, but at the same time relieved. because i'm probably going to be able to come home soon. as long as i take my pills.

I completely forgot about that. Back when Josie and I were still friends, back before her and Michael were just starting out, her mom mentioned something about Luke not taking his pills and that's why he.. well, you know what happened. Luke's coming home.. soon?

Me: that's great!! and i know you don't want to hear this from me but i want you to take your pills. please. for me?

It didn't take long for his response.

Luke: of course, jasmin (-:

-

I woke up the next day feeling a little bit different. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I knew that I was sadder. Or maybe a lot more stressed. The only thing that makes sense is that the incident between Michael and I is taking its toll on me, and giving me stress.

Mornings at school are lonely now. Without Josie, I'm alone most mornings. Michael was usually there too but I was afraid that if I hung out alone with him that he'd either try to explain and apologize some more, or he'd repeat what he'd done. I couldn't bring myself to even try.

I took a seat on one of the benches that the school provided and fiddled with my earphone cords in my cold fingertips. I hated getting to school early; I hated getting my earphones stuck in a knot more, though.

"Is this seat taken?" I heard a familiar voice say.

I looked up to see a beaming, honey-colored haired boy smiling at me.

"No- no of course not, Ash, sit down." I smiled back.

He sat down next to me and sighed, running his fingertips over a rip in his pants.

"So, I wanted to talk to you about something." He whispered, though Ashton is the type of person whose whispers aren't even really whispers.

"I know what happened. With Michael,"

My heartbeat sped up and I tried to interrupt him, but he kept talking over me.

"he told me. He's really sorry, Jasmin. In my opinion, I don't think you should tell Luke until he's out of the institution because at least he'll be in a good mood. But you have to tell him. You can't keep this big of a secret from him, y'know?"

I paused, not knowing what to say. I just said what came to mind.

"I was actually going to tell him when he got home.. soon," I said, letting the words fall off my tongue.

"Soon?" He asked, leaning a bit in with interest.

I nodded quickly. "Talked to him yesterday. His mom's taking him out soon again."

Was I allowed to give this information away?

"But last time-"

I shook my head, "I know."

The thought of what happened last time Luke was let out of the institution made my heart drop and my whole body shiver. That incident wasn't something I liked to think about often.

It was silent after that, just the sound of quiet murmurs from other students just coming into school. Despite my time spent with Ashton in the past, now that he has knowledge of what happened between Michael and I, I can't help but feel a bit awkward. Thankfully not long after the conversation, the bell rang and he stood up.

"I'll talk to you soon..?" He said, raising his voice to a question at the end.

I knew he didn't have class with me or in a classroom near me, so I couldn't walk with him. Frankly, I didn't know when I would be able to see him again. It could be for a while.

"Sure, Ashton." I spoke, before walking in the opposite direction to my next class.

//

wow hello

it's been a hell of a long time.

i want to apologize, but at the same time i don't. i really needed tht break lol. but hey, this doesn't mean i'll be updating this far apart from each chapter, but it'll just be irregular and post whenever. deal?
thanks for reading! i love ya 💖

- riss