Reader + Schlatt

this is platonic

sorry schlatt simps

idk i just like the idea of people smoking a lot in the smp i don't condone it irl

fluff + angst i don't fucking know i just write

if schlatt seems a bit ooc that's kind of the point.

this is just a lot of stuff packed together.

listen to the artist carwash while reading to this

-

Schlatt was drinking again, you felt it. Bottle after bottle, all down the hatch.

You didn't particularly mind, sometimes taking time to smoke next to him instead of alone, or have a few sips. No, that wasn't the worst part. The worst part is when he would drunkenly shout or hit his kid, Tubbo, or his vice president Quackity. He never raised his voice at you for some reason, which you were thankful for. That 6'3" ram was not to be messed with, especially when you had seen him snap a stone sword clean in two. Sometimes he terrified you, and all you could do was try not to flinch whenever he grabbed your shoulder or arm.

Today you were typing away, trying your best to answer any and all emails from the citizens of Manburg. You didn't like the name as much, it didn't have the ring the old one had, but you were okay with it because Schlatt made it.

Schlatt Schlatt Schlatt. Alcoholic Schlatt. That would probably be the death of him, you laughed to yourself. The only reason you didn't hold any resentment towards him (unlike almost everyone else) was because he always was there, a bottle of beer and a cigarette extended towards you, and a one-armed hug that was warm like a quilt. He made you happy, and you were proud he was your friend. When he was half sober or more at least.

Schlatt stumbled into your office, rubbing his eyes.

" 'M tired," he said, pulling a fold-up chair from the left corner of the room, pulling it up next to your seat. He rested his head on your shoulder, one of his horns lightly grazing your hair. "How you holdin' up, secretary?"

There it was. He always refused to refer to you by name, calling you funny nicknames, or just listing out what you were doing at the moment. You chuckled lightly,  patting his head.

"Answering emails. Fundy says we should fix the prime path soon."

"Mhm." he made a noise of agreement, shutting his eyes. You almost groaned audibly. When he slept, you couldn't move an inch or he'd hug you to him as tight as possible. That, and when he woke up unexpectedly he'd drink at least a case of beers before watching TV, dress shirt half-buttoned. Sometimes you could walk in on him yelling at Tubbo, and you tried your best to stop it. You'd even given your server communicator ID to call when he Schlatt was drunk again, but he declined, saying Schlatt was the happiest drunk and spending time alone. You agreed cautiously, still insisting that Tubbo be able to talk to you if needed.

-

Sometimes you'd wake up, cramped from falling asleep next to Schlatt on your shoulder. The sun would have started to rise, and you would have to nudge him awake and make some coffee for the two of you. He liked it black and bitter, and a dark roast, though you were never sure why he chose to drink it that way. You just made it for him every morning, and he drank it, and the two of you would crack jokes and talk before the day started.

When he drank with you, he would hiccup incessantly. If he wasn't a sad drunk, he would be laughing at almost every word you said. He'd hug you and spill his guts out about his son and his vice president, telling you how annoying or how much they made him laugh, or how much he cared about them. Sometimes you wished you had a family as close-knit as his, his son, and his practically-husband VP.

Schlatt often noticed this, and he'd console you, slurring out "sorry"s and apologies. You never accepted, holding a stubborn no. Schlatt didn't insist, he never insisted anything. He'd laugh, usually a throaty chuckle, before slapping your back. 

When he did become a sad drunk, you urged him to drink some water to sober up and go to bed. When he was a sad drunk, he would mope and complain about everything, and sometimes he'd get angry. It wasn't always pleasant, and he'd take it out ton the things around him. Once, he punched a mirror while you were trying to get him to bed, and glass got stuck both in his fist and your cheek. It got blood everywhere, and you had learned from that incident.

When he was sober, the four of you, family included, would take a walk around Manberg. He'd stop by Niki's bakery sometimes, demanding food. You'd pay Niki behind the counter, saying you had to talk to Niki for a moment privately. He'd often forget that Niki was a person too, and you made sure to remind her that she meant something to someone.

Schlatt wasn't all that bad. You felt everyone else made a horrible judgment of his character. But you really couldn't speak about it, just being a secretary. Most of the time, your opinion wasn't taken into account. 

-

Only when Schlatt died did someone ever give a damn about your feelings. And it was Fundy, who patted you on the back once before leaving you with his dead body. It was meant to be an "I'm sorry you lost Schlatt, your only friend and the only person who cared about you", but it came out more an "I pity you, you just lost the only person who ever cared about you." pat. 

That night, you laid next to Schlatt's body, asking him questions and talking to him. You would ask if he knew what death felt like, if he knew what was after death, if he would like you to join him. In a way, he answered. He told you of the person, the largest entity. The omnipotent being.

You hesitated, thinking it over and over again. It would be a stupid idea to ask DreamXD if he could bring Schlatt back to life, much less let you talk to him regularly. You wondered if DreamXD would be able to bring him back as a ghost. 

A ghost. Ghosts. Many people considered it a myth, a legend, but you had seen it before. An insect you'd accidentally squashed came back as a ghost, a transparent bug that sat on your wall once again. You supposed since you had felt so guilty, you could see it.

When you were a child, you remember your mother telling you a tale about ghosts. Ghosts could wander the earth for all eternity, and those with whom you felt strong emotions or bonds, you could see. Sometimes they could interact with the physical world, and they burned if they touched water. 

So, you set off to find Schlatt. 

After several months of searching (and a shit ton of alcohol and cigarettes),  you found him in a cave. You could barely believe your eyes. 

He was putting up some type of poster of a large man. There was a weight bench and a lot of torches in the neatly dug out cave

"Schlatt?" you asked, hand on the side of the entrance, trying to support yourself.

He turned around, eyes meeting yours. His complexion was a pale-ish grey, and he looked younger than he did at death.

"Secretary!" He yelled. "C'mere!" He spread his arms wide and you jumped into them, clinging on to the back of his blue sweater, biting back tears.

And for the first time in months, you felt everything was right in the world.

-

idk man i just like pain 

pulled this straight out of my ass

my stupid course is over finally

updates will hopefully return to normal. normal being still a really weird upload schedule.

-pigeon