Reader x Karl 2

Hey sequel to that one coffee shop oneshot that was supposed to be a one off but I liked it too much so here's a second part

TW: a lot of death imagery? idk, a lot of metaphors for suffocation and death
dw it's not angst, promise
-

You had noticed an increase in the number of visits the man with scruffy brown hair paid the cafe. Almost every single time, he sat in the same (always unoccupied until he stumbled in with his laptop, phone, and charger) chair, near the window and outlet. Sometimes, when there wasn't any business, you would rest your arms on the counter, watching him type away on his laptop, making the occasional text on plugging in headphones from his pocket, and hitting play on some youtube video. If you were feeling social that day, you'd sit next to him, and the two of you would sit in comfortable silence, listening to music that you had handpicked for him. He seemed to enjoy the quiet and calm of it all, and sometimes you could hear him humming under his breath while you drummed your fingers along the wooden plank.

Sometimes the two of you would engage in idle conversation, talking about the weather, or new video games that had been released. Over a month or two, you had found out he liked thunderstorms, and sweaters, and sandbox games. You supposed you had shared an equal amount about yourself, though you didn't want to ask him.

Gradually, the two of you grew closer. And at some point, you started to envy him. He was so optimistic, so cheerful, he tried his best to do whatever he could, and his friends and family enjoyed his company. The envy turned to appreciation, and at some point the feeling disappeared, replaced by something heavier. It felt suffocating, like you were drowning, but in the most pleasant way possible; like accepting your death as something excruciatingly painful, but you had come to terms with the fact that it was going to hurt either way.

The feeling grew and grew, and the two of you moved past acquaintances, into friends, into close friends. The suffocating feeling grew and grew, and sometimes you would lay in your bed fully clothed, gripping your shirt and thinking about the feeling. You'd didn't particularly mind it, you had grown to live with it, but at some point it truly started to try to kill you. And you had nothing to say or do about it.

And then October 4th, when you were about to close up shop.

"Karl, I'm gonna close up shop in a couple minutes. Make sure to get your stuff before I accidentally lock you in again, please." You grinned cheekily at him.

He whined. "Oh c'mon, you'll never let me live that down will you?" You snorted.

"Never."

He giggled, saving a file and closing his laptop.

"It's not my fault you were half asleep."

"And it's not my fault I got carried away with writing.

He scratched his neck. "Could I talk to you after you lock up?"

"Sure, just let me grab my bag and stuff." You set the apron on the hook in the back, grabbing your messenger bag. The cafe opened until pretty late, and you were usually on the last shift. You checked you watch. 7:45.

You stepped out the shop, using the small bronze key on your lanyard to lock the door.

"What'd you wanna say?" Karl twiddled his thumbs, averting your gaze. When he did turn his head to look at you, he saw the cold light of the moon exaggerate the shadows of your face, and he gulped.

"Look, I just..." He scratched at his phone case.

"Could we, just, maybe go out for lunch sometime?" He glanced at you quickly before looking at your hands, which were tossed loosely at your sides, one gripping your phone. You grinned.

"I don't see why not." You said, your free hand slinging around Karl's shoulder. He relaxed, all tension dissapearing  from his shoulder blades.

Karl. Karl, in his large sweater from some show you'd looked up once, Karl with the dusty greyish brown eyes, Karl with the fluffy hazel hair, Karl with the couple rings, had reached out, and grabbed your floating hand to drag you out.

You wondered if he felt the same way.

-

school's shit I'm drowning in homework

fell down a flight of stairs and landed on my ass so im in pain rn

here's a bit of a different writing style hope it isn't horrible

okay buh bye

-pigeon